Machine gun barrel modification
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Machine gun barrel modification

I am adding 7.62x54R to My Vickers. This is an easy conversion as the 1910 Russian feed block fits with no modification. The Vickers extractor needs just a bit of tweeking.......303 and x54R are both rimmed cartridges.

However.........the chamber is simply reamed with a a x54R reamer........the shoulder of 303 is almost 3/16 further forward. This leaves considerable bullet jump..and worse than that, the steel case surplus ammo bulges forward to fill the void and usually splits......makes an uncomfortable smoky situation just in front of the shooter hands.

So..we take a x54R barrel and cut it down to fit the Vickers gun. Much of it is OK as is, the other aspects require simple reduction of the size of this and that, thread the muzzle. Problem is the side rail stud....

How does one reduce the OD of a flattop topped cylinder (the stud) that is integral with the barrel block.???

I may not understand, but Barry will.

PJH

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Boring head in the mill with a left hand boring bar,carbide if needed.

3. Likes Mold God liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Or just run it in reverse?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree with John Evans above. Before trying it on the barrel, mock up a trial piece and give it a whirl to see how you need to proceed. Also turn it slow.

I had to create elevation trunions on a small brass canon years ago , did just this operation. But I did not have a nice square block to hold.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can you just remove the barrel from the block, put the block in a lathe and indicate the stud and machine away?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by heckinohio View Post
    I am adding 7.62x54R to My Vickers. This is an easy conversion as the 1910 Russian feed block fits with no modification. The Vickers extractor needs just a bit of tweeking.......303 and x54R are both rimmed cartridges.

However.........the chamber is simply reamed with a a x54R reamer........the shoulder of 303 is almost 3/16 further forward. This leaves considerable bullet jump..and worse than that, the steel case surplus ammo bulges forward to fill the void and usually splits......makes an uncomfortable smoky situation just in front of the shooter hands.

So..we take a x54R barrel and cut it down to fit the Vickers gun. Much of it is OK as is, the other aspects require simple reduction of the size of this and that, thread the muzzle. Problem is the side rail stud....

How does one reduce the OD of a flattop topped cylinder (the stud) that is integral with the barrel block.???

I may not understand, but Barry will.

PJH

I can do that, no problem. where in Ohio are you? I am north of Marysville 30 miles NW of Columbus, PM me if I can be of help.