Machining a barrel thread adapter
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Machining a barrel thread adapter

I want to machine an adapter that screws onto a metric m14 barrel that has M15x0.75 pitch external threads, to convert to 5/8 for more standard muzzle brakes. Concentricity and alignment are going to be critical. Here is my tentative plan:

1. Drill and tap for the M15x0.75 and screw adapter onto barrel;
    2. insert a range rod into the barrel through the adapter and true the barrel up with spiders at each end just like chambering through the headstock;
    3. cut and thread the 5/8 tenon with it all aligned;
    4. install the muzzle brake and check for alignment with the range rod, correct by truing up the hole through the brake if necessary.

Does this sound like an effective way to do this?
    Last edited by Grizzlypeg; 05-15-2019 at 04:48 PM.

2. Likes Butch Lambert liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlypeg View Post
    I want to machine an adapter that screws onto a metric m14 barrel that has M15x0.75 pitch external threads, to convert to 5/8 for more standard muzzle brakes.
    You lost me out of the gate. If the barrel is threaded M14 (like an AK, or SKS) where is the M15 coming into the equation?

Is this what you're looking for?

M14x1 RH to 5/8-24 RH Thread Adapter

Reamers follow the existing hole in the brake. When I retrofit, I never bother dialing in precisely because I don't believe a few tenths- or even a thou or two- makes any difference at all. I put the brake in my Buck 6 jaw and ream it to size with a floating reamer holder. A quality brake will have it's hole perfectly concentric to the threads and I'm perfectly content to allow the reamer to follow the hole.

If it's a new barrel, and it's been dialed in to cut the crown, then I'll bore the brake in-place after threading the muzzle without disturbing the setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

bet he has a Norinco M14...

5. Likes Grizzlypeg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, it is a Norinco M14 with metric thread. The barrel is threaded M15x0.75 for the flash suppressor nut. That thread can also be used to attach a muzzle brake. I want to make an adapter that screws over the (M15x0.75)threaded end of the barrel and terminates in 5/8-24. I'm just mulling over how best to machine it accurately for alignment with the bore. I'm thinking it should be done similar to setup for reaming a chamber, in that I need the external threads I generate on the adapter to be accurate to the bore, just like the shank on a barrel.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you done the math for this? M15 is nominally .590" and 5/8 is .625". that gives you .035"/2 = .0175" thickness in which to cut the 24 TPI threads. Looks like the minor diameter of 5-8-24 is .574-.575". I don't think a sleeve will work; the threads would have to be one in front of the other.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, definitely the threads cannot be on top of each other. Wish I had an easy way to post up a drawing. I envisage a section that goes over the barrel, and a 5/8 threaded portion forward of the barrel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you considered *trying* a .595"-32 brake??? It's so close it may be a non issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to make blank muzzle breaks. One of the sizes we made was 1/2-28. If you bought one of these you should be able to bore it out and thread it .590-32, which is pretty close if you do not have metric threading gears.

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you’re testing a bunch of 5/8 brakes or other muzzle devices then why not. But if it’s a dedicated brake I think FredC has the right approach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Makes sense about the one off vs trying various brakes. I am mostly doing this for the fun of it, and would like to do it the more complicated way of making an adapter. I can buy a brake that just screws on, but its more fun to do something myself and learn in the process. I have ordered a tap in M15x0.75, and the external 5/8 thread I can cut on my lathe.

13. Likes gbflyer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well...if ya want the practice, sure.

But for $35....

M15x1 RH to 5/8-24 RH Thread Adapter

For best appearance, buy a round 5/8" brake with an OD slightly larger than the OD of your adapter, screw it on, and turn the OD to "blend" with the adapter. It'll look like one piece when it's done.

Will that barrel with the front sight fit through your headstock? Gonna be a bitch with that entire barreled action swinging around behind your outboard spider.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    Well...if ya want the practice, sure.

But for $35....

M15x1 RH to 5/8-24 RH Thread Adapter

For best appearance, buy a round 5/8" brake with an OD slightly larger than the OD of your adapter, screw it on, and turn the OD to "blend" with the adapter. It'll look like one piece when it's done.

Will that barrel with the front sight fit through your headstock? Gonna be a bitch with that entire barreled action swinging around behind your outboard spider.
    Too bad its the wrong thread. The M14S from Norinco uses M15 x .75 threads.

I can remove the barrel for the job, and the front sights are on the flash suppressor that will have to come off to be replaced with the brake.

I would like the practice. Making stuff is part of the hobby. It would be far cheaper for me to get someone else to chamber my barrels than me buying a lathe, all those measuring tools, tooling for the lathe, reamers, etc. But, for me, its what I want to do with my spare time.

I like your idea of blending the adapter and brake. That will make it look pro.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlypeg View Post
    Too bad its the wrong thread. The M14S from Norinco uses M15 x .75 threads.

I can remove the barrel for the job, and the front sights are on the flash suppressor that will have to come off to be replaced with the brake.

I would like the practice. Making stuff is part of the hobby. It would be far cheaper for me to get someone else to chamber my barrels than me buying a lathe, all those measuring tools, tooling for the lathe, reamers, etc. But, for me, its what I want to do with my spare time.

I like your idea of blending the adapter and brake. That will make it look pro.
    Post up some pics as you progress. Interesting project...good luck with it!