What's new
What's new

Air rifle

Herb in Delco

Cast Iron
Has anyone tried putting a drop of oil in the skirt of the pellet to cause it to diesel? I know it works, did it by accident--but is it too hard on the valve etc of the rifle?

From another thread/site;
"
A Spring Powered Air Gun Compresses Air behind the pellet as the piston is released. When you compress air it gets hotter. Springers can "Diesel" if a petroleum lube is present. And if that occurs generally the pellet will break the sound barrier and there will be a "Crack/Report" like a .22 LR.

If you fire the Felt Cleaning Pellets they will also break the sound barrier, and crack like a .22 LR.

A PCP Airgun Releases Compressed Air which gets colder when released. You might have noticed the Air being released from a tire when you pull the valve stem out is cold.

Since the air is getting colder during the release, It cannot Reach the "Flash Point" of the "Petroleum Product," if present,,, to ignite it.

Therefore "Dieseling" cannot occur in a PCP."

When a spring gun fires, it causes a great rate of pellet acceleration, far more than in a PCP. This rate of acceleration will often cause pellet distortion, especially with a strong spring. This acceleration only occurs in the first few inches of barrel travel. After that the pellet will decelerate due to barrel friction. This is why long barrels do not work well in spring guns, but they do work well in PCP guns. Add to this the dieseling effect of a petroleum product and the pellet distortion will be even worse drastically affecting accuracy. Don't do it!

I say it doesn’t matter cold or hot air it only needs compression to light off the petroleum. Get a target a chronograph and some Vaseline and do a experiment. A Diesel engine will light off fuel right from jump street or you would never get it started. It helps if it’s hot but it will fire.
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have always read that dieseling in an air gun is to be avoided and will damage the gun. I never really questioned the whys of it. I think what I have read was more related to cleaning the gun with petroleum oil so maybe that's what would damage the gun. Maybe it won't damage the gun and the guys that said it are just kill joys. I don't know.

ATF is a fluid of choice for the purpose. There used to be some airguns offered where the practice was recommended.

Myself, I smear the underside of the pellet tin lid with petroleum jelly and tumble the pellets in it. (Very light coating)

In the cheap chineesium side lever springer, I'm pretty generous with the lube oil on everything. The smell of burnt oil adds to the pleasure of plinking.

Accuracy doesn't go downhill all that bad. Give those tree rats half a chance. ;-)

So yes, It has been tried! ;-)

The subject of high speed gasguns is a very convoluted exercise. Compared to conventional PCP airguns, it's Like F1 cars is to an old Ford. But worth looking into for anyone interested.

Thanks, folks! I'll have to find my 40-year-old chronograph, and see if it still works. The sonic "crack" is what made me think that there was an improvement in velocity. I'm talking about a break barrel spring gun, so the air should be hot from compression, not cold as in stored air release, correct?

Herb

Thanks, folks! I'll have to find my 40-year-old chronograph, and see if it still works. The sonic "crack" is what made me think that there was an improvement in velocity. I'm talking about a break barrel spring gun, so the air should be hot from compression, not cold as in stored air release, correct?

Herb

Your break barrel spring piston rifle will be ideal! Hot air.

Some gun you don't really care about is a good idea as well. Poly piston seals don't really like the combustion products. Leather cup seals don't seem to care.

(Hint: leather cup piston seals are "oiled" for pliability and sealing. That leather can hold a lot of oil, burning off a bit each cycle. ;-)

Have fun! Don't shoot your eye out.

My Air Arms S410 FAC pellet gun which is a PCP will definitely diesel if the pellet has too much oil on it. I have very light spindle oil in the pellet tin. If the pellets get too much oil on them it will diesel with no effect on accuracy. It just makes more noise. The increase in velocity, who knows.

Back