What's new
What's new

Machining an intregal barrel from a blank

Apparently Springfield Amory milled the dovetails for the front sight and brazed it in first first. The thread milling machine had an extension for lining up the sight. Also the rear sight screw holes and extractor slot were indexed off the front sight. They had a reason, to make the parts interchangeable with out custom fitting.
The example shown on Youtube sure went to a lot of trouble with the possibility of spoiling it near the end. A lot of time and trouble for the WOWSERS factor.

OK, I will say it - WOWSERS.

Apparently Springfield Amory milled the dovetails for the front sight and brazed it in first first. The thread milling machine had an extension for lining up the sight. Also the rear sight screw holes and extractor slot were indexed off the front sight. They had a reason, to make the parts interchangeable with out custom fitting.
The example shown on Youtube sure went to a lot of trouble with the possibility of spoiling it near the end. A lot of time and trouble for the WOWSERS factor.

OK, I will say it - WOWSERS.

Occasionally we all step in this trap from time to time.

Interesting enough video, but I REALLY wish folks were not so keen to share their crappy music choices, and even less keen on cranking the volume way up when they edit together the video and sound track!

Amazing work, but I'd much rather listen to random shop noise, the air conditioner, etc., than loud elevator music.

Interesting enough video, but I REALLY wish folks were not so keen to share their crappy music choices, and even less keen on cranking the volume way up when they edit together the video and sound track!

Amazing work, but I'd much rather listen to random shop noise, the air conditioner, etc., than loud elevator music.

My computer has a volume control.

On another forum we saw a Krag that was made into a work of art instead of just another sporter. I know building a custom sporter will result in a substantial loss when it is sold. Where does the value go when a gunsmith with a reputation builds one of these?

On another forum we saw a Krag that was made into a work of art instead of just another sporter. I know building a custom sporter will result in a substantial loss when it is sold. Where does the value go when a gunsmith with a reputation builds one of these?

After having a few built by the "best" of the ACGG,, I would say that a few from a small amount of craftsman will be worth a little more after the artist passes.
Fred, I guess that others and I have them built for our own satisfaction and resale value is not on my mind.

My computer has a volume control.

Mine too, but I still don't want to have to listen to their crap muzak.

Strange as it may seem to you, having to run the volume all the way down in order to make the levels even a bit tolerable, is pretty strong motivation to just bail on the video in the first place.

As much as I am actually interested in seeing how the guy does the work, it wasn't worth having to listen to that crap.

Mine too, but I still don't want to have to listen to their crap muzak.

Strange as it may seem to you, having to run the volume all the way down in order to make the levels even a bit tolerable, is pretty strong motivation to just bail on the video in the first place.

As much as I am actually interested in seeing how the guy does the work, it wasn't worth having to listen to that crap.

What ever floats your boat! I need to watch it again to check the music out. I don't remember hearing it. I'm not much of a music person and very seldom even turn on my truck radio and have no radio at home.

Fred, I guess that others and I have them built for our own satisfaction and resale value is not on my mind.
I understand that for your own use and satisfaction "rabbit hole". We were raising peanuts here for many years and I had several 30 caliber rifles. Wanted to convert one to 35. I used an inherited Krag that already had a poorly fitted sporter stock. The result is fairly nice looking as long as you are looking from a distance. Stainless 35 barrel with a Burris Fastfire sight for low light levels. Pigs are normal doing their thing very early in the morning or late in the evening. 35 Krag has a velocity about 1/2 way between 35 Remington and 35/08, which is a good neighborhood.Kragfin2rs.jpgkragfin5.jpg

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing this video with us Butch.

There is a tremendous amount of time, effort and equipment, and lets not forget Knowledge and Physical Skills, involved in undertaking such a task.

Then you have talentless (no Physical Skills) people, complaining about the cost of such work.
Then because of this, these same talentless people then complain that there is nobody available or willing to do Gunsmithing work, in their area.

Regards
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing this video with us Butch.

There is a tremendous amount of time, effort and equipment, and lets not forget Knowledge and Physical Skills, involved in undertaking such a task.

Then you have talentless (no Physical Skills) people, complaining about the cost of such work.
Then because of this, these same talentless people then complain that there is nobody available or willing to do Gunsmithing work, in their area.

Regards
Homer

Very well said!

Whatever floats yer boat...

Five grand for a Mauser barrel; wonder what else was done. Never seen a bedding lug done on a barrel like that either. As with many such projects, it's obviously "worth" the cost to the customer that contracted for the work- but will bring pennies on the dollar at resale.

The "talentless" people referred to above, represent the vast majority of consumers. Can't really blame them, they're ignorant of the processes and time involved.

Whatever floats yer boat...
Never seen a bedding lug done on a barrel like that either.

G'Day Fella's,

Tobnpr, this is not a uncommon undertaking, on heavy recoiling rifles.
The reason for this additional recoil lug (under the barrel), is to help spread the recoil forces, to as many locations of the stock, as possible.
FYI. even my standard Ruger M77 MkII, RSM (in .375H&H),has a variation of this, from the factory.

D'oh!
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

The reason for this additional recoil lug (under the barrel), is to help spread the recoil forces, to as many locations of the stock, as possible.
FYI. even my standard Ruger M77 MkII, RSM (in .375H&H),has a variation of this, from the factory.

D'oh!
Homer

My big bores have a barrel mounted recoil lug.

G'Day Fella's,

D'oh!
Homer

Fair enuf...

As another way to skin that cat, I don't see why one couldn't mount a recoil lug between the barrel and receiver in "typical" fashion. 'Course, one would need a barrel of adequate breech diameter, the military contour isn't beefy enough needing the secondary torque shoulder.

Back