What's new
What's new

Magazine catch for .300 win mag

thunderskunk

Cast Iron
Hey gents,

Still playing with my Howa 1500 chassis design. Most of the hardware/materials are in.

For the magazine; I’m making my own from .040 aluminum: done it before for much more complicated magazines. This one could probably be done entirely on a brake. Two biggest concerns are how the lips seat with the integral receiver lips and how the heck to hold it in, and that’s why I’m here.

Pretty much my only thought is to do an AR style catch. The slots and holes are easy to machine, there’s thousands of parts and variations available, the button is threaded which makes it possible to span a wider magazine, etc. I’m not excited about said idea as I don’t think it will hold to the tolerances needed for reliable feeding. I’d have to look a bit harder, but I think an AR bolt has a lot more interference when stripping a shell than the Howa.

What other options are there? I’m not set up to mill anything from the inside of the magazine well or trigger well. I could broach something, but I’m not sure what such a mechanism would look like. I could drill something into the point marked on the picture attached, but we’re talking long tools and odd fixturing. I could pretty easily drill and tap in a Bridgeport. Maybe some sort of spring plunger...

Any ideas? None of the commercial magazines are very appealing at $60+ a piece for just about any variant.

87e9cf420ed49faa69de49838d6b89d0.jpg

Back