What's new
What's new

Magazine Won't feed // Bullets Spinning

Eddie Bausch

Plastic
I have 10 steel double stack single feed MAC magazines from Recon Ordnance. I welded a stop to the front to prevent over insertion and welded over the slot for the mag catch and re-cut it, then parkerized the magazines. They fit my gun wonderfully and look great but they will not feed.

They work when only a few rounds are loaded but if you put more than 10-15 rounds in a magazine it becomes so hard to load I have dented cases with my mag loader. When the rounds are removed they get stuck and there is a gap under the feed lips. All of the rounds above where they stick can be rattled out. The other odd thing is that as the rounds move through the magazine body they spin. It does not matter if the rounds are being pushed up or are going into the magazine as I manually lower the follower.

The inside width of the mag bodies is .730 (Same as Uzi mags which work) from the bottom to where it tapers for the single feed. I have polished the inside as best I can and tried them dry and with lube.

Here is a video of the bullets spinning as I push them up through the magazine:

[video]https://photos.app.goo.gl/mkLXXPthVPjZPyXJ6[/video]

And also a picture of bullets that are stuck in place. This was a loaded magazine that stopped feeding. All the loose bullets on top of the jam were shaken out.

Jam.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

You mentioned the width of the mag, how about the distance from front to back? It looks like the mag is too short or the bullets aren't seated deep enough in the brass. Possibly the follower is at the wrong angle. They are rotating because the tip of the bullet and the primer or base of the cartridge are both coming in contact with the mag. As they move up the friction against the sides cause the bullets to rotate.

JMHO

-Ron

I can tell you why they are spinning and jamming but not how to fix it. The diameter of the cartridge cases are small enough to form a toggle lock due to friction. Is sides of Uzi mag may be coated with an anti friction material. For giggles put a strip of nylon or teflon thickness gage stock on the inside your mag. Use as thin as you can get so as to not disturb the dimensions.

Tom

Hey boss, are those reloads or factory rounds? Are you using these in a semi or SMG? I've converted a bunch of PAM2 mags for my subgun and I haven't had any problems with them. Get me some more details and we'll get you going in the right direction.

Don't be afraid to email me on this if I don't reply right away. Life is busy. :drink:

Thanks for all the replies guys. The mags are plenty long front to back. I didn't measure but in the picture you can see the extra space by looking at the two rounds. One is against the front the other the back.

I think friction is the problem. I puffed some graphite into one of the problem mags and it worked! Not 100% but the difference was remarkable. I ordered a can of Perma-Slik G, which is a spray on molly based dry lube. I hope that coating might just be the solution. I would have never thought graphite could work so much better than oil.

The bullets in the pic are reloads but I have made tens of thousands of them and they work. The same problem occurred with factory CCI and Winchester ammo. The mags did start life as PAM2 mags, which have a great reputation. I think my re-parkerizing them has a lot to do with them not running. No idea why that would make a difference but I think that is what did them in all the same. They are for a "Texas MAC" SMG that never got much use but I got one of the Lage uppers and that makes it like a new gun which I really want to shoot :)

If you have Parkerizing on the inside, I would do something to smooth it. New Parkerizing is pretty rough and will "bite" into soft metal like cartridge brass which likely is your problem.

Back