What's new
What's new

Making indicator rods

hart

Plastic
After reading the posts about dialing in the bore of a barrel for crowning or chambering, I would like to make my own indicator rods or range rods.
Fist of all, what should they be made of? Brass?
I have seen them advertized, made with a 1.5 degree taper. How long of a taper would this be? Would this be straight section and then the taper?
Or is a close fitting straight one better? How close of a fit will they have to be? If very close fit is required, I could see one needing a variety for each bore size.

I have just joined this group and my lathe experience is limited to high school 35 years ago. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Hart.

I guess that depends on how accurac you want to get. Not all lathes will turn true, some will have lobe's or egg shaped to the parts, plus the bend in the part you get when turning a long skinney rod, thats why grinders are so darn high $. If you can live with a few thou out, you could use brass or steel even AL would work. Taper if I were makeing them would be to the end, the taper will let you use one rod per cal, if you make them stright then you will deed to make one for each barrel as the barrels all very some. For what they cost to buy I can't/wont make them myself. Just for fun try makeing some rods. Make one .308 then one .3079 and .3078, you will soon see it ain't easey.

Post deleted

[This message has been edited by John Ricks (edited 12-24-2003).]

Sorry for taking so long to get back.
I was thinking of making the indcator rods 3" long with about 2" straight and 1" of the rod tapered. I would like to know how much of a taper is needed. Is .001" over 1" of length too much or is .0005" or .0001" better?
Also John Ricks mentioned he makes several for each bore size. How much difference in diameter should one be from the next? Should they be in .0005" increments or what?

My idea was to slide the tapered end into the bore 1" deep and then using 2 dial indicators on the 2" that stick out. One close to the bore and one at the end of the rod. This way they would be almost 2" apart. I would then adjust the 4 jaw chuck and the spider till they both run true.
Am I on the right track?

Hart

I measured one of mine, its 4.006 length with .500 turned stight for the bushing. The taper part runs its entire length for 3.5" small end measures .21195 and the far end is .22005. At 1 inch its .21450, so you have a taper per inch of .001275

[This message has been edited by Kurt Westfall (edited 01-10-2004).]

Back