UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
    he engraved. Took him forever.
    Well it is either permanent or not so...?

Are you talking about doing whole toolboxes at one time? Ya, screw that LoL, I did most of my stuff (before I just locked everything up each and every time I got done using it) one purchase at a time...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How about "rainbow" Titanium flash with a logo / logotype initial set into it?

Huh? more description is needed. Ya lost me on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by new_guy View Post
    I used coloured Heat shrink but It comes lose so if you could find a glue lined that would be better. I was thinking next ill try a printed lable strip under clear glue lined. Also the heat shrink over punches gives you good grip
    I've had good luck securing heat shrink tubing from sliding on metal by applying some Loctite vinyl, plastic, and fabric glue before shrinking the tubing. The metal has to be degreased first.

PS: Those acid marking pens work very well but you have to rinse and oil immediately or the marks will turn into an unreadable blur. The ones I use are Travers Tool # 81-005-496 and are from Japan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the desire is just so you can identify the tools as yours, I have found instant cold blue can be used to advantage on almost any steel tool.

A small divot or flat surface ground into the metal in some convenient spot can serve as the "name plate". It doesn't take much, 3-4 mm X 3 mm is enough. I once dipped all my layout tools in the gold plating solution and got a flash coat. They looked mighty snazzy, but the film did not last long. But I wasn't paying to have the real treatment done. ;-)

Lately, I've been applying a PVD layer of copper to hand tools. It makes for a nice patina with use. Of course, not everyone has a vacuum deposition system in their lab. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another easy way if you are only worried about mix-ups rather than theft is the Brother TZe Strong Adhesive labels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had that problem when I strung wires in F101 airplanes with an added twist. If you accidentally left a tool in an airplane, you didn't want your name on it. Another problem was that almost all the electrical equipment was mounted with 1/4" or 3/16" bolts so most work was done with 3/8" or 7/16" wrenches. I bought the very best quality but they disappeared with great regularity. Finally, I found a very cheap box end wrench, 3/8" on one end and 7/16" on the other. It stayed with me to the end of my tenure there, not that I would accuse anyone of anything, you understand. I finally settled for a splash of paint.

People leaving things in planes was a major problem. They had so many incidents with bucking bars that they finally made them mildly radioactive and went over planes with Geiger counters before flying them.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've found the best way to mark my tools is pink hockey tape on the handles, and laser engrave my name under it. It helps to know someone with a laser engraver.

Now back in the day, when I was an electrician, we had a pantograph for marking button nameplates and switchgear nametags in plastic. I engraved a bunch of softer tools with the rotary tip and the script text, and the steel stuff with and old diamond tip. Years later, I had my nice engraved and blackened aluminum rotary deburring handle go missing. Like 9 months later I happen to be going past the machine shop and see it on one of the machinists tables. I walk over and ask him where he got it, and he replied "I've had this for years, you can't get them anymore.' I told them yea, you can't get them anymore because it was mine. He asked how I knew it was mine, and I said "It has my name engraved right on the side" "No, that's the brand name, I bought this years ago." "Hey idiot, I have a dozen different tools with that same name engraved in the same script and blackened in the same way. Hand it over or I'm reporting you for theft". I had the duburring handle for like 2 months before it disappeared out of my toolbox (from a locked drawer), never to be seen again.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got very handy with a Dremel hand grinder, I think a good smith should be able to draw nice letters, numbers and write his name..you can use a point mounted grinding wheel, a diamond point or a carbide point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Winterfalke reminds me of another war story. While I was at a fencing tournament I foolishly left my Gerstner chest on the back seat floor of my car. When I came out, it was gone. It happened that one of the fencers was a St. Louis Police officer. A year and a half later my phone rang at 4 AM. It was the police officer, calling to tell me that they had found some of my tools and if I identified them, I could have them. When I asked when to come, he said he would appreciate it if I could come right away. OK, us working stiffs get along with the law. I got dressed and went to the police station. They had busted a drug dealer and were up all night classifying the drugs and writing reports. As they were going through the loot, the detective who led the operation held up my micrometer, asking what it was. He happened to have it with my initials out where Jose could see them. They also had a solderless connector crimper with my full name. They explained that it was Friday night and the prosecutor's office was only open until noon Saturday. If there was a problem with the drug charge, they could not hold the dealers until Monday, the 20 hour rule. The stolen property charge after that long was doubtful, but it would be enough to keep them on ice until the drugs were settled. They had me go to the prosecutor's office later hut they didn't need me. Nevertheless, I was happy to help and it was an educational experience. They let me read the reports and one thing caught my eye. They detailed which officer apprehended which felon and stated that each was handcuffed for the polices' and the felon's protection. When I asked how they handcuffed someone for his protection, they replied that otherwise he might resist and they would have to hurt him, not that they seemed to mind the idea that much.

The primary dealer was 47 years old and had a three page rap sheet, one line per arrest. The detective said that there was no chance of rehabilitating him, all he wanted to do was get him off the streets before he got to more kids. I saw in a paper that he was arrested again while out on bail. Later I heard that they finally got him put away for a long time.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had my name on all my tools. I was chief mechanic at the Indy 500 on the Porsche in 1990, we used to get a lot of "help" from Germany. They worked out of my tool box. one day after running practice a track official returned a wrench to me that was found on the track, along with a 5000.00 fine for leaving on the rear wing and having it fall on the track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

During my Citroen agency days, my mechanic lost his feeler gauge. For months he berated me about borrowing and losing it. Finally, a car that he had worked on came in. There, on a sheet metal box in the engine compartment, was his gauge. The Citroen super smooth ride had kept it right where he left it.

Bill