Midway Chamber Reamers
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anybody have any feedback on Midway reamers. I think they are PTS made. How do they compare to Manson or JGS? Thanks
    Fred T

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just used a .416 Taylor reamer from Midway
    on a Lothar Walter barrel & it cut fine; no problem at all. hope this is of some help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Don
    I just bought one for a 6.5x300wsm. I will let everyone know how it cuts when I finally get around to using it.
    FredT

GRUNING Guest

I PURCHASED OVER 100 REAMERS OVER THE YEARS, MOST OF THEM JGS...JGS PEOPLE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL IN WILDCATTING AND I'VE NEVER BEEN SENT THE WRONG REAMER WITH THE CORRECT MARKINGS, SOMTHING I CAN NOT SAY ABOUT ANOTHER REAMER COMPANY. I HAVE NEVER HAD A MISSED FLUTE WITH JGS( WHEN YOU PUT YOUR REAMER BETWEEN CENTERS ON A PRECISION BENCH CENTER AND ONE REAMER FLUTE OR EDGE IS LONGER.)
    HOPE THIS HELPS

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gruning

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gruning
    I have bought several over the years too, Most of them old clymers, and now Manson and liked they all. Never used jgs but know folks who do and like them. I was just a little leary of the reamers from Midway they seemed kinda inexpensive. I bought it anyway and will report when I finally get around to using it. I never thought about putting a reamer on a set of bench centers and giving it a spin, I might just try it though.
    Fred T

GRUNING Guest

FRED T,
    I HAD A REAMER THAT CHATTERED, ONE FLUTE WAS LOADING UP WITH CHIPS. MY LATHE TAILSTOCK WAS INDICATED , AS WAS THE BARREL BORE. I BECAME FRUSTRATED WITH THE AMOUNT OF TIME IT WAS TAKING TO REAM THIS PARTICULAR CHAMBER. I DECIDED TO CHECK THE WORKMANSHIP OF THE REAMER COMPANY'S TOOL AND CUTTER GRINDER. I FOUND THAT ONE FLUTE DID NOT SPIN "TRUE' WITH THE OTHER FLUTES. I ENDED UP USING ANOTHER REAMER WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. I SENT THE OFF-CENTER REAMER BACK FOR RESHARPENING. I HAVE USED IT SINCE WITH OUT ANY PROBLEMS. I JUST WANTED TO TOUCH BASE ON SOME OF THE HEADACHES I'VE HAD WITH CHAMBER REAMERS.
    I HOPE THIS HELPS

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've used Clymer, Manson and Pacific. Latest was a 7mm-08 Ackley with a removable piliot.(pacific tool). Excellent tool. The midway stuff, is no more than Solid piliots Pacific reamers and the price is about what Manson would charge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have 3 Midway / PTS reamers .. and they
    seem to be fine as far as I can tell ...
    The chamber is clean and the runout on at least 2 of the reamers is < 0.0004"

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just got a m852 modified reamer from Clymer, floating pilot 190, the ones reamer rentals.com sales I think PGP are 147. next reamer will be one of them

[This message has been edited by Schulze (edited 08-02-2003).]