What's new
What's new

Mill Suggestions.

DeauxJoe

Plastic
Hey everyone, thanks for looking. I am looking to add a mill to my shop. I don't currently have any specific uses for one, but I get small odds and ends that would be easier with a mill, and on the extreme end, I would like to be able to mill slides for sights. My question is where to start? I have done the typical googling and reading up, but I would love some first-hand experience. Any specific machine suggestions would be great. This machine will need to be single phase.

How much room do you have? For most gunsmith work a small 9"x42" Bridgeport or copy is about as big as you need. A CNC is only good for gunsmithing if you make multiples of the same thing. I have one here, but use it very rarely in the CNC mode due to the programing time for one operation.

This machine will need to be single phase.

This will handicap your search and drive up your cost. 3 phase is not a difficult issue. You can easily make a 3 phase generation setup from a 5 hp 220V motor and a static phase convertor (buzz box) which will allow the use of 3 phase machines all around your shop.

This will handicap your search and drive up your cost. 3 phase is not a difficult issue. You can easily make a 3 phase generation setup from a 5 hp 220V motor and a static phase convertor (buzz box) which will allow the use of 3 phase machines all around your shop.

Damn, good info. I will certainly be looking into this. I want to upgrade my lathe and this will seriously help me out.

How much room do you have? For most gunsmith work a small 9"x42" Bridgeport or copy is about as big as you need. A CNC is only good for gunsmithing if you make multiples of the same thing. I have one here, but use it very rarely in the CNC mode due to the programing time for one operation.

The area I have slotted for it is about 8 ft wide by 8.5 feet tall. It has a shelf on top of it which could be removed if need be. I love the idea of a small CNC and set it to make some small parts here and there. But that's a side of the market I have no idea about. Like why wouldn't you put it making threat protectors or chamber flags?

Yeah, I would love to have a DRO and a power feed, I just don't know if there is a machine out there with those fetures that isnt crazt expensive.

DRO hardware isn’t too much if you don’t get too precise. Power feed is another story. I put 3 axis DRO on a mini mill, but it’s otherwise manual. Mine is good to 0.0005

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take a look at Precision Matthews. Very nice machines especially for gunsmithing. lathes and mills. This is about the cheapest you will get for a decent machine. You can also get these machines in single phase. Like others have said though don't let the phase be the deciding factor. Getting 3 phase is very easy with a rotary phase convertor or VFD for a couple hundred dollars.

It used to be easier to find good used Bridgeports or copies in 3 phase as the shops didn't want them as they upgraded to CNC and most home shops didn't have 3 phase power. Now with a VFD they are easier to hook up and you can get variable speed from a belt and pully drive mill.

Looks like a good plan, you can save some money and drop the chip pan option. Every shop I have ever been in has either not had them or removed them. Unless you are running flood coolant, where they are needed to collect the coolant running off the table and work, they tend to just get in the way. Most chips will either stay right by the vise area of the table, or go flying 6'-8' away across the shop, or end up down your shirt collar. Never in the pan. Others may have a different experience with the chip pans.

Unless as stated you want flood coolant, just hang some heavy curtains or panels around the mill to contain the chips. Curtains are nice as they can be hung on rods and pushed to the back of the machine when not in use.

Tom

I have/had a single phase BP from the factory, even though I have 3 phase in the shop. Step pulley machine. I put together a system which uses a single phase vfd and a new 2hp 3 phase motor. Built a touch screen control that now gives variable speed, by operator typing in the speed with both back gear in/out, and single phase operation. Instant forward/reverse etc. So, a little time and effort and no handicap.

Dave

Hi,
As others have suggested,try to find a used Bridgeport.

Might want to put up a WTB in the Forum, that was how I found mine.

Took a Chinese 7.5 HP motor and made a "Stone Age" RPC, using a washing machine motor to get it started.

It runs my mill and a 1945 Horz. Wellsaw!

Attachments

• rrrtt6666.jpg
    rrrtt6666.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 54
  • 666.jpg
    666.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 53
Go to FB marketplace, theres a Ultima (bridgeport clone) with DRO and tooling for 3500 in Lafayette, an Acra with DRO in Lafayette also, and an Acer cnc knee mill in Morgan City as well

For what I suspect would be about the same money as buying a new Chinesium mill, I too am going to plug a Bridgeport, or clone of one. It's not a coincidence that they are almost THE universally known milling machine in North America! Tooling is as cheap and common as it comes, and it has lots of capability for the floor space it takes up.

I gave away my $2k Rockwell 21-100.
I bought a $12.5k Bridgeport.

It turns out the old mill would have been good enough, if I had added DRO and auto feed.

Back