What's new
What's new

Milling Glock 19 slide- need direction

yoke

Hot Rolled
Hey Guys, I'm looking to add some MRDS to a Glock or two and would love to just mill my existing slides. I'm not looking to get fancy or artistic with it I just want a finished result that will be rock solid.

Any money I save on a new milled slide can go to the optic itself. At this point I'm leaning towards Trijicon RMR type 2.

Will the added weight of the sight be enough to cause cycling issues? will I need to mill out the weight of the optic from the rest of the slide?

Does anyone have the slide milling dimensions required for mounting?

Any help is very much appreciated.

I can not speak for a glock directly as I have M&P, but I can tell you that on my M&P there is no cycling issues with a red dot dovetail mount, nor a milled in mount. Stock spring and my reduced spring runs both perfectly fine. I have friends wh run Glocks and noe of them have had issues as far as I am aware.

as far as a pattern check the companies website . Most have the mounting dimension on them, or you can request it from them to ensure you have the latest version. Not often but occasional a revision will cause a change.

I have done a few and the function is fine. You can order a surface mount adapter plate to use as a template for location of the slide cuts and basic outline. Wait until you have the sight in hand before you mill anything to make sure it has a good fit. No need for a radius cut on the front, a straight cut works just fine and looks ok, at least to the guys I did them for.

80ea0daf303ec9d94091a206e7b80a55.jpg
e9892b431ccd11c0ebfcc8364b98b48a.jpg
f101baa0c7f5af52f99822b824b87abe.jpg
2dcf509f25d219debd1a10f319b13b19.jpg
here are a few my son and I have cut
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight/cycling issue. Trijicon RMR type 2 = 1.2 oz, if you are relief milling the slide, you're reducing its weight by a similar amount. If for some reason you do get cycling issues, you can just buy a slightly heavier recoil spring. No shortage of those available for glock for basically pennies.

]here are a few my son and I have cut
Don

Have to say, I'm not a fan of Glock (stock or Gucci), but those are some fine looking pistols you have. Did you do all the slide cuts? Or did you start with an aftermarket slide and just cut them for the RMR? Did you do the "stone" pattern grip stippling on the frame with the mag well? I love that look.

f24580a0896062161649c4e3c22b4426.jpg
here is a pic of the slides to start off with these are stainless. That’s what I used on the black one after cerakoting I used 1000 grit wet dry paper and sanded off the high surfaces to make the two toned look cut some stock slides also you can’t quite do ass many styles with the stock slides
Don

Have to say, I'm not a fan of Glock (stock or Gucci), but those are some fine looking pistols you have. Did you do all the slide cuts? Or did you start with an aftermarket slide and just cut them for the RMR? Did you do the "stone" pattern grip stippling on the frame with the mag well? I love that look.

Yeah we do all the work on the guns including the stippling also make the magwells
Don

You do good work for sure. Do I recognize your user name from the Hide?

For some odd reason, I never seem to like the "popular" firearms that you can get things like slide blanks for. I prefer AUGs to ARs, my preferred pistol for idpa/3-gun right now is a Steyr L40-A1, my LR rifles are all custom, etc. As such, I haven't had the balls to put any to the mill yet, because I can't just replace the parts if I don't like how they turn out. I've been looking at getting an XD, just so I can Lego it into what I want. But seeing your pistols had me reconsidering glock for a minute, until I remembered that they feel like a 2x4 in my hand :D

Do you have a shop, or is this all just personal work? PM a link to your website if you do have a shop and work on non-glock firearms. If nothing else, I can recommend you to my buddies.

Sorry to hijack you thread OP, we'll take any further convo to PMs.

I LOVE the RMR! I was undecided between a few red dots but after research I popped on a rmr v1 years back. I also am running a baseplate to waterproof it! My slide didn’t extend out past the o ring so i used a baseplate. Get a black baseplate trust me!

I use a factory g19 recoil spring and a cut/ported slide with ZERO issues. I cut the end off my factory poly guide rod and made a steel guide rod on the lathe.

I beat the shit out of my RMR and so far it’s taken all the shit I can deal!

attachment.php

My son and I have a shop we do some custom gun stuff and automotive stamping die work mostly. Been machining a long time made custom race car wheels for a while got a buddy started and he moved it to Austin Texas. Make some rifle builds and AR platform builds
7fa18685d5b8bb522196e45719173ee7.png
8f08b28422a874cc5438665c9379e1f7.jpg
847d3c136895e6377b1bc1409889e987.jpg
3855a7c9d2495c136743684661622133.jpg
here are a few more pics
Don

D Nelson, beautiful work, are you using the blank slides from Brownells or you making your own ? FYI your ar uppers are great

They are from lone Wolf thank you for the compliments. I have a bunch more of the uppers if anyone wants more. I have some cerakoted black tungsten and FDE
Don

Don,
I started messing with my first slide cuts on a pretty beat G22 yesterday. Mainly just getting my design down before making any cuts. Learned a quick lesson about the coating and my EM..lol. Was using an 1/8". Busted after my 1st cutout. So I decided to use the opportunity to blow the dust off of my Charmilles sinker. It's way slow and overkill for sure, but I don't use it much and hate seeing it sit. I finished one side today. Hoping to have the other done tomorrow, then it's off to get re-coated. I've enjoyed reading your posts so far! Your builds look great!

Mike

They are fun to do. My son really likes the gun stuff. We use 5 flute 1/8 inch with a .03 rad to do most of the slides. Rpms at about 7500. Use dynamic tool paths. We can do a bunch of slides on a few Endmills. We thread mill the optic screws 6x32
Don

Back