What's new
What's new

Model of 1905 vs M1905 bayo grip screw

gflat65

Plastic
I’m trying to replace a grip screw on an early model of 1905 bayonet (1909 dated SA). I bought a catch lever assembly for the later models (1942+), and quickly discovered that the it is too large to thread into the escutcheon.

The screw that came out of the bayo has a shaft dia of .1515”. At the end of threads (at shaft), it measures .1505”. It appears to taper to .1470” at the thread start, but that could be due to oxidation, use, and age. The bayo has been blued (came in the bright from the factory), so it has been reworked at some point. If I understand correctly, likely before 1917 (most were parkerized when returned to the arsenal).

The later model screw measures .1585” at the shaft and .1550” at the thread OD.

At 32 tpi, it’s a coarse thread, but seems to fall between a #6 and a #8.

Can anyone shed light on this? I’m finding it incredibly difficult to find a replacement grip screw for early versions.

Thanks in advance.

if you have brophys book on the Springfield rifle i believe it may have that info in there

if you have brophys book on the Springfield rifle i believe it may have that info in there

I’ll look for this book. I’ve been reading Gary Cunningham’s Bayo Points. Lots of good info I haven’t yet found anywhere else. But no mention of the screw.

Sounds like a #7 screw. They did things like that in days of yore.

I wondered if there was such a thing. The measurements seem to fall nicely between #6 and #8. Interestingly, the grip screws from later variants of the bayo are slightly larger. Minimal, but enough that they are not backwards compatible.

The only reference I have close to look at is "Manufacture of the Model 1903 Service Rifle" so take this for what it's worth.

The screw shown in this book is straight, 0.1525" diameter and 33 threads per inch.

-Ron

The only reference I have close to look at is "Manufacture of the Model 1903 Service Rifle" so take this for what it's worth.

The screw shown in this book is straight, 0.1525" diameter and 33 threads per inch.

-Ron

I could see 33 tpi. It’s just to the plus side of 8 threads on a .25” piece.

In the reference you have, is it called out as a specific thread, or does it just give the dimensionals?

It may be in the text of the book some where but I have been unable to find it. I found heat treating, materials, etc. but no "thread form". Here is the drawing they give with the associated text:

bayonetscrewdrawing.png

bayonetscrewtext.png

Hope this still helps,

-Ron

It may be in the text of the book some where but I have been unable to find it. I found heat treating, materials, etc. but no "thread form". Here is the drawing they give with the associated text:

bayonetscrewdrawing.png

bayonetscrewtext.png

Hope this still helps,

-Ron

That won't help. It's all about bayonets, not bayos.

Probably not relevant but if the replacement parts you sourced are current production it's possible they may be some type metric fastener spec.

Probably not relevant but if the replacement parts you sourced are current production it's possible they may be some type metric fastener spec.

I don't think that they were using metric fasteners here in the U.S. back in 1909, especially for military ordnance. Unlikely to be "current production" as well but I have been wrong before. :D

-Ron

You could probably make a #7-32 screw from mild steel and let the threads distort as they are screwed in. Can't imagine that wouldn't be sufficient. None of my lathes cut 33 TPI.

I just looked around a bit and found what you are looking for from Numrich -

M1 Garand Bayonet Parts, Scabbards | Numrich Gun Parts

They are repo but contain the nut and washer so everything should fit, at least with itself. At under $12 it would be hard to beat.

You could probably make a #7-32 screw from mild steel and let the threads distort as they are screwed in. Can't imagine that wouldn't be sufficient. None of my lathes cut 33 TPI.

I don't understand why they would have used a 33 count thread anyway when the logical (maybe that was the problem) choice would have been a 32?

FWIW

-Ron

Thanks guys. I’ll take those drawings and see if I can get some help from the model shop.

The NOS or replacement used screws I find are generally from post 1942, so they don’t thread properly into an early escutcheon. But an early screw threads into a post 1942 escutcheon. Loose engagement, but tightens up.

I’m looking to keep the original components as original as possible (newly made screw to match threads, etc.), until I can find the needle in the haystack correct replacement screw. I’ve bid on two different grip sets with screws that were pre WWII, and lost both. They’re out there. I just have to constantly search until I can sneak in a win.

I may do the new set with screw and escutcheons... I’m pretty sure I’ll have to do a little fitting to get the new escutcheons in, but for $12, it couldn’t hurt to have the parts on hand.

Are you wanting a duplicate or a useable bolt and nut?

I’d like a duplicate to keep the assembly together (the posted drawing matches most of what I measured, so that may get me there). Ultimately, I’d like to have a correct screw from the period.

Back