What's new
What's new

Moving a gas port. How best to plug the old hole?

CalG

Diamond
I've got a 20 inch , mid length gas port barrel That I would like to convert to rifle length.

The new hole is easy, the old, now unwanted hole? Hmmm...?

Obviously an Evil "black gun" application .

Steel, not SS.

And on that note, but an aside,

Has anyone come across a treatise on the subject of gas and bolt TIMING applied to the Stoner design?

The AK gets by with anything, just throw the metal parts around.
The Stoner system is more refined. I would like to better appreciate the finer points. Perhaps it is all "trial by Error".

Thread it and put a short set screw in it. Make sure it is not extending down far enough to get into the bore
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thread it and put a short set screw in it. Make sure it is not extending down far enough to get into the bore
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did consider "Spiking the touch hole" i.e. making a hard press plug. the area is exceedingly small. .093

You can thread it for a set screw with a little teat machined on the end. Make the teat short enough not to intrude into the bore. Any gaps around the teat will be filled and sealed with copper fouling. Use a 6-48 screw and stake around it after tightening it, as Loctite's will not hold up to the barrel heat.

You can thread it for a set screw with a little teat machined on the end. Make the teat short enough not to intrude into the bore. Any gaps around the teat will be filled and sealed with copper fouling. Use a 6-48 screw and stake around it after tightening it, as Loctite's will not hold up to the barrel heat.

This is exactly what I would do. The chewing gum won't hold up.

Somewhat related,

Has anyone got an idea how Stoner came up with the bolt piston diameter, volume and stroke for the AR-10 and derivatives.?
There are many variables. I suppose most of the "physics" could be ignored and fall back onto mechanics. i.e. bolt diameter follows cartridge base dia. etc in base terms.

There are a lot of different events that should follow a logical order and all in a very short period of time. And STILL look at all the variations. Short to long barrels, light to heavy buffers in a variety of lengths, lightened BCG adjustable gas ports. Subsonic to "hot" loads. . I have yet to see aftermarket variable geometry with the bolt piston...

I suppose some things just can be made to work if the basic design is sound. Tweak here, tweak there.

I would think the reason the aftermarket doesn't mess with bolt piston dia and stoke is because similar results can be achieved by modifying much less expensive parts.

I would be willing to bet (a very small sum) that Stoner choose the bolt dia based on case head size and then ran experiments to choose gas port location. Also remember that designing a auto for the military is easier on the ammo side as the ammo to be used is a known element, unless your Colt with the original m16 then you test with one ammo and the military field it with another causing all sorts of issues

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

no its got to be bazooka joe i like the ring , sleeve , collar but then again how thick is the barrel at that point and if its inside the hand guard who is going to see it [the collar that is]

Back