What's new
What's new

Mud Plugs

How big was the bulge? Only at the muzzle or throughout the whole barrel?

He lost an inch and a half of barrel. It's been done to death. I cut and crown about a dozen bulges per years. Some years more, some less. The guys at the Alberta Hunter Education have a very nice collection from my customers. A few really slick banana barrels too that I've given them.

He lost an inch and a half of barrel. It's been done to death. I cut and crown about a dozen bulges per years. Some years more, some less. The guys at the Alberta Hunter Education have a very nice collection from my customers. A few really slick banana barrels too that I've given them.

Out of interest what do you think is the main reason for getting dirt in the barrel? Traveling in a vehicle or out in the field?

The ones I've seen here are caused by shooters placing the rifle muzzle down in the front of the ute so whatever crap is on the floor gets pushed into the muzzle. Did see an old Rhodesian who had a habit of slinging his rifle muzzle down, very easy to get a mud plug that way I should think.

Garry

Some people put a circle of black electrical tape over the end of the barrel to keep it clean (trim with a knife and its invisible). I've got a muzzlebrake, so I use a balloon. It doesn't effect accuracy (I assume it's long gone before the bullet gets there). Also keeps out rain and snow knocked off branches when you are hunting.

The wise old Rhodesian carried his rifle muzzle-down to lower his profile in the bush. A protruding barrel will give away the most skillfully camoed head. I would also guess that he never had dirt in his barrel. Regards, Clark

The wise old Rhodesian carried his rifle muzzle-down to lower his profile in the bush. A protruding barrel will give away the most skillfully camoed head. I would also guess that he never had dirt in his barrel. Regards, Clark

Clark you're right about those Rhodesians being wise, and the Sth Africans too. A Boer told me the best way to sling a rifle is roughly horizontal with the ground, muzzle backwards and your hand always on the grip. It lowers your profile, no chance of snagging on a tree and if you take a spill in a creek bed or hill you naturally push down so the rifle stands up straight and the butt hits the ground, also allows you bring a rifle quickly on target as well, just a quick turn and up. Not a popular method if you hunt with others though( at least those following you). Those african guys were great hunters and could tell a great story and what a wonderful accent.

"Out of interest what do you think is the main reason for getting dirt in the barrel? Traveling in a vehicle or out in the field?"

Looking back at my 1st post it may not appear clear. In this country most pest, varmint shooting is done by farmers or professionals shooting from vehicles so that is what I meant when I posed that question. I'd assume it's similar in Nth America.
Garry

Back