What's new
What's new

Mystery Black Powder Rifle

Bart.Howard

Plastic
A friend purchased a older smooth bore black powder rifle a while back, it has no markings or stamp on the gun. I have posted it on some black powder forums. some said it might have been made around the 1850's. the question I have about this rifle, is about the action. in all the searching I have not seen anything close to it. I thought I would throw this out here and see if anyone has seen this style of action before? Or might have any information on where I might look?

Attachments

• action opened up.jpg
    action opened up.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 492
  • action cocked.jpg
    action cocked.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 474
  • action.jpg
    action.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 501
  • back side of action.jpg
    back side of action.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 451
  • stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 419
here are some more pictures

Attachments

• gun.jpg
    gun.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 255
  • END OF BARREL 2 .jpg
    END OF BARREL 2 .jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 240
  • END OF BARREL.jpg
    END OF BARREL.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 239
  • ramrod tube side view.jpg
    ramrod tube side view.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 232
  • brass screw.jpg
    brass screw.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 228
Looks somewhat like these;
mowry rifle - Google Search

thanks, I have been looking at the Mowry and Allen & Thurber models, they are close, but all the pictures I come across, the plate that covers the action is of a different design, and none have the action opened up to see how they are assembled.
I do like how the ramrod tube and part that holds the nipple have been soldered onto the rifle. where most are attached with screws.
the other interesting feature, is that it's barrel is round, a smooth bore, with only a sight bead on the end of the barrel, with no tang on the rear. It mikes out as a 54 caliber or 28 gauge. my first thoughts when I seen it, that it was a shotgun, but the barrel walls are not thin like the shotguns, so I am let to believe that it is of the 54 cal.

My guess would be European and I think it is a small-bore fowler, perhaps also with the ability to fire ball if needed.

The other possibility would be perhaps an officer's fusil, which are muskets that are smaller caliber, lighter, and shorter than normal infantry arms. Also, the pronounced bow on the front of the trigger guard made me immediately think of French guns as I have seen several antique French guns with that distinguishing feature. A friend has a gorgeous French flintlock double that was converted to percussion and then expertly reconverted to flint. Unfortunately he refused my request to be adopted so I could inherit the piece. :D

In any event the one your friend found is a neat piece and definitely unusual.

I find it interesting that you have a heavy barrel .54 cal smoothbore as I also have one. It is a double barrel and looks more like a plains type rifle but is a heavy barrel double gun in .54 smoothbore. It also has a single minimal front sightand a very interesting lock mechanisms unlike any others I have seen but looks rather typical from the outside. I imagine they were meant to be loaded with a heavy charge and single ball or projectile if that was needed or could be used as a scattergun for foraging purposes. If I ever get ambitious again, I'll haul it out for a photo shoot.

This is the first time I have seen this rifle. And I'm pleasantly surprised; it's pretty damn good.

Bart,
I have seen a similar gun of that type.. It was known as a 'ships gun'.. It could be used as a harpoon gun or as a line thrower. Also had the ability to be used as a forage gun for a shore party. Think more along the lines of a shotgun for the shore party work so no need for sights.
Seems really well made so I doubt it was a 'trade' gun. As for the quality of the stock.. well folks on ships in that time frame had time and money on the hands and pockets.
Cool find what ever it's origin.
Stay safe and thanks for sharing
Calvin B

tdmidget, sir
If not a designated shotgun, maybe "smooth bore musket" or just "musket" would be a more correct in the way of terminology ?
Stay safe
Calvin B

Before that, I was only interested in the Winchester M1895 rifle. It was designed in 1895. It has a longitudinally sliding bolt that moves inside the receiver.

This is the first time I've seen this rifle. And I'm pleasantly surprised; it's pretty darn good. Now I want to know as much as I can about it, not to mention that I would like to feel it tactilely. Before this, I was only interested in the Winchester M1895 rifle. It was designed in 1895. It has a longitudinally sliding bolt that moves inside the receiver. The bolt is locked by a wedge that drives vertically in grooves inside the receiver, behind the magazine channel. The barrel of the rifle looks like a long tail) It was perfectly complemented by [spambegone]the best model, Marlin 60 scope[/URL]. Please read about it; maybe it will impress you too.

Somehow this clown-account has held on for a year, but Digger accurately called it with the first post (#60): https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...w-seconds-time-307822/index3.html#post3547360

It's time an admin actually knocked this guy off the site.

Looks interesting! Go to the NSSA Forum: (North-South Skirmish Assn) They might have a clue. If It European or UK it should have proof marks.

Back