What's new
What's new

Need info on a Winchester model 1906 pump 22 short.

Old Iron

Hot Rolled
My father inlaw found this rifle in a old house he was cleaning out. He would like any info you can tell us about it.

The bore is clean and all I think it needs is a good cleaning and oiling. He wants to have it redone But I think he should.

Thanks
Paul

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 8,177
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 10,460
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 19,227
Is the butt plate a metal crescent or flat hard rubber? The reason I ask is that while the barrel and forearm are typical of the 1906, the receiver is from a first model 1890 takedown. The later 1890 and 1906 bolt had lugs that were recessed in the sides of the receiver, the rifle in the photo does not have this feature. The tang should be marked Model 1890 while the barrel will be marked model 1906.

This link shows a ratty 1906, the lugs are shown in the first photo;

http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/winchester-model-1906-3863626.html

The 1890 and 1906 shared common parts, it is possible that even if the tang is not marked 1890 the front half of the receiver and bolt are from a first model 1890, making it a frankenrifle. As such, it is probably more valuable as parts than a whole gun. I would not go to a great deal of effort to refurbish it.

The butt plate is flat hard rubber and the tang is not marked, Model number is 37240. I got this serial number chart from another forum.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

Attachments

• Winchester.JPG
    Winchester.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 8,299
The 1906 model was an economy version of the 1890. It had a round barrel and the stock was of gum rather than walnut. They shared the receiver and other common parts. By the serial number, it was made in the first year of production. The second model 1890's were still being produced at that time, which could explain the receiver having the concealed locking lugs. That, combined with the first year manufacture date and the 22 short only could add up to make the gun of interest to a collector. It would be worthwhile getting more information about the gun from some experts in the field before doing anything with it. If it is indeed a collectible, it is worth more in its present condition than having any clean up done with it.

Paul.

It is imminently collectible. Suggest you do not refinish it. Here's a true story.

When I was a little boy I started hearing stories about my mother's father and what a crack marksman he was. In fact, the stories went that he shot doves off the wink with a .22 rifle - the very "gallery gun" you're inquiring about.

I soaked up those stores and filed 'em away in my mind. Then many many years later, I happened to remember the stories. Somehow it came up during a conversation with my brother and this happened to be in the presence of our father. Basically, I said, "You know what? I used to hear our cousins brag about how papa could shoot doves off the wing with a .22 gallery gun. I can't believe that's anything but horse poop" (or words to that effect). To this, our father responded, "It's true. I saw him do it many many times. In fact, most times they'd fall out of the sky with their heads shot off".

They were not called "gallery guns" for nothing. They were literally used in arcades where young men shot for prizes to give to their girl friends. They were fantastically accurate.

VT

The butt plate is flat hard rubber and the tang is not marked, Model number is 37240. I got this serial number chart from another forum.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

Well if he could do that, he could probably have done the same with nearly any other 22 rifle.

I will say (as owner of an un-restored 62A) those guns are a lot of fun to shoot. Mine's a bit
of a rat but it always draws attention at the range. Did put a taurus peep sight on it which
helped a bit.

If I were you I'd clean it up, and shoot it.

One problem is there are quite a few important parts that are NLA. Specifically I'm talking about
the cartidge carrier and the tiny cartridge stop. Those things are wear items and cannot be
sourced anymore, as far as I can tell. Oh I did fine one site that sold the cartidge stops but they
looked to have been hammered out of a tin can with a blunt rock. I cleaned mine up and re-used it.

When those things wear, the guns tend to get feed problems. Otherwise, put it to the use it was
made for!

The gallery guns were used in carnival shooting galleries. The gallery owners did not care to lose a lot of money by giving away too many prizes, so the guns were usually pretty goobered up to preclude any danger of their being accurate.

Wisner's is a source of parts for these and many other older guns. I have gotten several parts from them and have been quite pleased as to price and quality. All are new made and properly hardened.

Winchester  RF Pump  1890, 62A Rifle Parts

Back