What's new
What's new

Need a plug for a front sight replacement

bimmerland

Plastic
I have converted a rock island 9mm slide into a red dot only slide. I'm trying to find a solution to plug the front sight and smooth it out before cerakoting. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have used Devcon 10110 steel bed to fill holes. Sand and shape to match contour and coat. Only if you look really close can you see the patch due to a surface finish difference after sandblasting. I am sure if you really took your time and wet sanded it , it would blend right in and you would not see it.

I am assuming you are talking about a GI style front sight ? The type that is a tenon into the slide and you stake it in?

I would cut the tenon of the sight short and have someone tig weld, silver solder or epoxy it from inside the slide, and then file and blend the actual sight to the barrel profile. Never been a fan of filling hole with filler vs making a plug. Yes it can be done successfully, but the plug was always the more attractive option to me.

Got the gun back today after milling the rear for my vortex venom. I can still cowitness win the front sight so will leave well enough alone.

Back