Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    What about from those that know it is not a good idea.

Aircraft frames made from 4130 are welded all the time. The tubing is not hardened and still the welds are coole slowl to normalize the joint to prevent cracking. A very few are heat treated afterwart to increase strength...
    It's done in race cars all the time as well... Normalizing is simple in non-heat treated steel... Normalizing HT steel can remove the temper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

4140, 4130, both susceptible to hardening from heat and quench, water or oil. What I've heard, read, rosebud torch to feather out the heat in an attempt to normalize/anneal the weld to avoid the bad properties of the 'heat affected zone'.

'Good enough' for your garage hotrod. Maybe not the rifle in your face.

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At least 2 aircraft manufacturers that I know of MIG their 4130 airframes. One is Rans the other is Cubcrafters. Both are quality. There may be others.

Please donít weld your Rem 700 lug on. Iíll send you my Hollandís fixture for drilling them to pin it, just mail it back when youíre done. It can even be used in a regular old drill press/vise with a little care. You can pin it in 2 areas even if youíre worried about shearing the pins. Itís easier if your lug is pre-drilled. Iíve built and been around switch barrel Remingtons for 30 years and have yet to shear a pin. One of the best things Iíve done is use a roll pin. They are tough little bastards.

4. Likes Mram10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mauser receivers were mentioned a couple post prior. They are mild steel and surface case hardened. I have 2 or three of them that were annealed and double square bridges tig welded to them. They were then sent to Pac Met to be recased.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

4130 will not get as hard as 4140 because it has less carbon. That makes it better for welding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When it was introduced, gas welding was all there was. Or so I've read. Gas, by nature, results in a much larger area being heated than MIG or TIG. So post weld heat treat is probably not as big an issue.

But I'd think any aircraft frame would be done in a furnace anyway, to satisfy the FAA.

8. Likes Mram10 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Took the barrel off a rem 700 6mm Rem today. The last guy had used red locker of some kind. I used a heat gun till I could see it boiling through the front scope mount screw hole. Finally got it off.

Long story to ask,
    how hot did my heat gun get the threads and lug abatements?
    I know it wasn’t near 1000c but had my 1250f heat gun on it for 5 minutes.
    At what temp are the receiver properties changed?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No idea if you didn't have an infrared thermometer to measure it. But Loc-tite melts around 400įF so if you had torque on the barrel while you were heating it and twisted it out once it started to move, I doubt it got dangerously hot.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    Guys, if you donít have info on welding a lug onto an action, please refrain. I will make another thread called ďWhy welding an action is badĒ
    ďGuys, if you havenít actually played Russian roulette then please refrainĒ

makes just as much sense.

ďJust a MIG tack weldĒ on a receiver.. that someone would even think of that is just mind numbing. Learn a little about metallurgy, alloys, heat treating, and welding, but First, please just give the welder away to some kid walking by. Just some helpful advise

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cyanidekid View Post
    “Guys, if you haven’t actually played Russian roulette then please refrain”

makes just as much sense.

“Just a MIG tack weld” on a receiver.. that someone would even think of that is just mind numbing. Learn a little about metallurgy, alloys, heat treating, and welding, but First, please just give the welder away to some kid walking by. Just some helpful advise
    You are obviously an expert on these things, so maybe you can help me.... without asking Siri....
    1. What temp will take those welds from brittle to match the existing receiver?
    2. How long does the metal need to stay at that temp?
    3. What HRC and ksi values is a standard Rem 700 receiver?

Yet another waste of time. You haven’t done it and don’t understand it well enough to do it, which is called ignorance. Try offering helpful advice rather than a pitiful attempt at rude humor. It obviously doesn’t suit you.
    Last edited by Mram10; 03-20-2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Somehow had HRL...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You have a message board full of gunsmiths telling you not to do something, yet you continue to whinge that we don't know what we're doing.

The separate recoil lug on the Remington and Savage actions allow the receiver to be manufactured from a smaller piece of steel more economically. There are many custom actions that fit a 700 footprint and are made with an integral recoil lug. Perhaps you would be best served starting your build with one of these other actions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are obviously an expert on these things, so maybe you can help me.... without asking Siri....
    1. What temp will take those welds from brittle to match the existing receiver?
    2. How long does the metal need to stay at that temp?
    3. What HRL and ksi values is a standard Rem 700 receiver?

Yet another waste of time. You haven’t done it and don’t understand it well enough to do it, which is called ignorance. Try offering helpful advice rather than a pitiful attempt at rude humor. It obviously doesn’t suit you.
    Mostly what you have achieved in this Thread is to show just how little you know about engineering related subjects; metallurgy in particular.

If you had the most infinitesimal knowledge of heat treatment and the properties of metal, you would know that a HRL scale wouldn't be used to measure the hardness of a Remington action, or any other action; unless, of course they've started making actions from bearing white metal. It seems to me that you cherry pick these terms from the Internet to make out you know something, but all it achieves is to make you appear like a goose.

15. Likes MIBill liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by angelw View Post
    Mostly what you have achieved in this Thread is to show just how little you know about engineering related subjects; metallurgy in particular.

If you had the most infinitesimal knowledge of heat treatment and the properties of metal, you would know that a HRL scale wouldn't be used to measure the hardness of a Remington action, or any other action; unless, of course they've started making actions from bearing white metal. It seems to me that you cherry pick these terms from the Internet to make out you know something, but all it achieves is to make you appear like a goose.
    I don’t know a lot about what Rockwell values are needed, times and temps. That is why I’m here asking. Since you are so apt to criticize, why don’t you fill me in. Judging by your knowitall comments and attitude you must know the answers.
    This is where you say “I don’t care” or “I don’t have time for this”.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pat_j0nes View Post
    You have a message board full of gunsmiths telling you not to do something, yet you continue to whinge that we don't know what we're doing.

The separate recoil lug on the Remington and Savage actions allow the receiver to be manufactured from a smaller piece of steel more economically. There are many custom actions that fit a 700 footprint and are made with an integral recoil lug. Perhaps you would be best served starting your build with one of these other actions.

What about those that have done this, but aren’t on this forum? The usual pack mentality for those that don’t know how to do something. I’ll figure it out

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What about those that have done this, but arenít on this forum? ...
    Possibly they're too dumb to use the internet.

19. Likes MattiJ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What about those that have done this, but arenít on this forum? The usual pack mentality for those that donít know how to do something. Iíll figure it out
    Pack? I prefer to use the term cartel.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think we have reached the useful end of this thread so I am going to lock it. If anyone with a satisfactory answer to the OP's question reads this far, please start a new thread with that answer.

22. Likes MIBill, Mram10 liked this post