What's new
What's new

New to forum

Swinson

Plastic
ANybody got a line on a good combo device. Have losts of biguns and don't know much about the small combo devices.

Are most of you 07/SOT or 01 or 07's?

[This message has been edited by Swinson (edited 11-28-2003).]

I believe that you need a Bridgeport or clone and a real lathe to do most gunsmithing properly. If you spend the money on the hobby stuff, you will find that they will not do what you want and you will have machine tools that you will lose money on selling. Tooling is cheaper for the real machines. The barrelman

Hey, is this Craig? A blast from the Anything Goes airgun past? Welcome aboard. Here's what I think;

To do serious gun work, especially barrel work, you'll need a lathe with 30" between centers minimum, and a 1 3/8" hole thru the headstock. A lot of guys use a new Jet, Grizzly, or Enco machines, and do ok with them. If you've got the bucks, get a slightly used southbend.

Personally, I don't believe the mill is as critical as the lathe for gun work. Mill drills not recommended. Bridgeport is nice if you've got the room and the money. But if I had to choose, I'd put the dough toward a good lathe and forego the mill rather than get a combo machine. But thats just me.

Jon

Thanks for the info...I will go the route of a good lathe and seperate machines for the rest of the stuff.

So much for going cheap....
smile.gif

If you can find one for sale that isn't worn out there is an excellent lathe for the gunsmith that many people don't seem to be aware of. Sheldon made a lathe they called "The Gunsmith's Model". It is an 11" swing 36" between centers with a spindle bore of 1 3/8". I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

Back