What's new
What's new

New model 870 12 gauge mazazine

Uncle Ethan

Aluminum
Hi, I just helped a Seal buddy of mine have a spare barrel reamed to take the 3" magnum shells and put on a extended magazine on his new Remington 870 12 gauge. The problem is the magazine that is pressed into the receiver has two dimples pressed into the magazine that is preventing the follower from moving freely up and down, so shells don't feed correctly. Is there a easy way to remove these factory dimples? I was thinking of finding a barrel dent remover and removing them with that, but I'm not sure the magazine is strong enough to do it that way. Any help available? Thanks, Ethan

The first thing I do w/an 870 is discard the factory follower and replace it with a Choate. I presume the extended mag tube you put on the new 870 also included a replacement spring as well and that it's not binding on anything, correct? Also have you tried feeding a shell through the mag tube w/o the spring or end cap on it to observe if the dimples are deep enough to retard the shell? If you haven't then pull the barrel, end cap and spring off and feed a round up through the reciever and drop it forward to see if it drops through or not. At that point you can decide upon any further steps. FWIW I've got an 870 w/the dimples you've described and it functions correctly.

Joe Kidd

The first thing I do w/an 870 is discard the factory follower and replace it with a Choate. I presume the extended mag tube you put on the new 870 also included a replacement spring as well and that it's not binding on anything, correct? Also have you tried feeding a shell through the mag tube w/o the spring or end cap on it to observe if the dimples are deep enough to retard the shell? If you haven't then pull the barrel, end cap and spring off and feed a round up through the reciever and drop it forward to see if it drops through or not. At that point you can decide upon any further steps. FWIW I've got an 870 w/the dimples you've described and it functions correctly.

Joe Kidd

Thanks for the help- I will follow your suggestions tomorrow and see what happens. The magazine came with a longer spring but we used the existing follower. Can I get the Choate follower direct or do I go through Brownells?

You can order Choate products from several different sources, I'd be suprised if Brownell's didn't carry them. Good luck on the trouble shooting.

JK

Back