What's new
What's new

New Workshop Layout

tbonesmith

Plastic
Hi Guys,
After years of working full time from my garage workshop I’m moving to a much larger factory unit.
Work is primarily rifle building and I’ll be building a small team.
Mostly I’ve worked on a single bench for all my jobs but I was thinking of running task benches in the new shop. ie. a bedding bench, a stripping and assembly bench, a barrelling bench, another other task specific zones and conventional/individual tradesmen for benches for the usual hand fitting.
I thought this may be more efficient to have the most common operations permanently setup on these stations to avoid having to get the stuff for those tasks and pack it away and reset for the next job.
Is this a common way to run in a larger shop and can you see any pitfalls in it as a layout option?
Cheers
Tom

That would work in a big shop if you only had one guy doing each operation in a production line system. Problem comes when more than one person is fighting for the same bench and "so and so didn't clean up his shit after they were in the bench"

If your planning on having multiple people building rifles start to finish themselves consider making up trolleys or grab kits that have everything you need for that task that can be taken to the person's bench. That way they keep their own bench space tidy and if you find a choke area in your work flow you can add a second or third grab kit so you could have multiple people doing the same task at their own bench.

If you get serious you can put a list of items on each kit that are supposed to be in there.

I work in a small shop. If I could have anything, I'd love a second work station that was used only for walk ins. It sucks having two guns pulled apart on one bench.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO

Back