"newbie question"rifling on gun barrels.how is it done?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi guys.I know I should probably post this in the gunsmithing forum,but thought I might get more replies here.I have no wish to make a gun barrel(probably not allowed in U.K)just curious as to how the rifling is cut into them.Is it some kind of broaching tool? One pass or several passes? Sorry if this seems a bit of a lame brain question but its been bugging me for some time!Many thanks andy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mass produced barrels are broached, hammer forged or buttoned. A button rifled barrel is drilled and reamed to size and a carbide button swages the grooves into the barrel as it is pulled or pushed through the barrel. Many custom barrels are made using a hook cutter and pulled through the barrel, indexed for the next groove and pulled through again. After all grooves are cut the cutter is advanced out .0001 to .0015 and done all over again. Many passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ub...c/16/1206.html
    topic in gunsmithing forum that shows how

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the quick replies.I should have done a search before asking.Thanks for the link to the topic.A description of the process is good,but a picture paints a thousand words.Many thanks.Andy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no wish to make a gun barrel(probably not allowed in U.K)
    Your allowed any barrel in any calibre you like here [img]smile.gif[/img] just don't add a chamber to the end or it gets real legal real quick
    The UK gun laws are somewhat of a minefiled [img]smile.gif[/img] (I must get round to posting a full and complete copy)

cheers Dave

Sierra Nevada Mountains - Motherlode, CA USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are some PIC's of some rifle barrels I was cut-rifling a few weeks ago.
    I am making several Revolver cylinders that I will post in about a week that you might find interesting.
    It must suck living in the U.K. where only the bad guys have guns. California seems to be trying to catch up with the all-out ban even though it is a violation of our National Constitution to ban them. Politicians...Can't live with them, can't kill them. Oops, I used "politician" and "kill" in the same sentence. The FBI will be knocking on my door by the time I send this. Gotta go bury some stuff......

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a Pratt that I found in Scotland. Just click on the Pic..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is an excellent book published about Appalachian gun makers that I have in my collection. I'll get the publication data & ISBN and post it here. It's NOT one of the Foxfire books.

This book is dedicated only to gun making. It explains and illustrates how barrels were forged from flat steel, how rifling was cut, how the 'wood' rifiling machines were made, all the tools, anvils etc. along with the stories about the old gunmakers.

It's basically "with this here log and this here string and this here piece of old broken file, we can rifle a barrel." Even how you can use a worn out barrel to rifle a new barrel. Mind you we're talking hand made BP rifles here but the concepts covered serve as a foundation for understanding the modern process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Book is Guns & Gunmaking Tools Of Southern Appalachia

Author is John Rice Irwin, Publisher is Schiffer and the ISBN is 0-916838-81-1

I highly recommend it, many photos, and if you are unfamiliar with or ever wondered how they did made guns before the advent of modern tools and electricity, this book will answer your questions. Simply amazing.