Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nickle Plating

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MIBill View Post
    Let me START by saying that I do NOT work on firearms belonging to ANYONE else. ANY conductive surface can be plated and plated well... IF one knows how it's done. I usually only do SMALL parts that can be plated with less than a quart of solution. However, A pistol would be VERY doable. Even deep pitting, as long as safety is not an issue, can be covered completely. IF I were to do something like this I would start with a complete disassembly, de-grease and cleaning. I would "fill" any pits using a strike coats of copper sanding and buffing between. Once all evidence of the pitting was gone a light strike coat of copper buffed and a final coat of nickle and it would look as good if not better than new. It is a LOT of time to do it but it is not hard to achieve. Any plater worth his salt could do it. Depending on how much restoration there is to do, the cost could get extreme. DIY could be a better option.

If you have any questions about DIY plating just ask. It is very easy to do nickle...

Have several questions perhaps you can answer for me about prep for nickel platting. my 100+ yr. old gun has many dings, scratches, and marks on it. I understand these must be repaired before platting. What is the process used to work the surfaces up to a point satisfactory for platting. How thick will the platting become? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dale54 View Post
    Have several questions perhaps you can answer for me about prep for nickel platting. my 100+ yr. old gun has many dings, scratches, and marks on it. I understand these must be repaired before platting. What is the process used to work the surfaces up to a point satisfactory for platting. How thick will the platting become? any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    The copper strike coat will build about 3-5 thousandths per pass before it starts to get "funky". Clean, buff , clean again, decrease and make the next pass. Masking, sanding and/or buffing is used to fill, mask and feather as needed. Depending on the number of passes and skill, you can build (fill) anywhere between a few microns and a few feet or more... Literally!

Copper is the electroplater"s Bondo.

3. Likes NC Rick liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had looked for these pics when you originally posted this thread and wasn't able to find them.. But there they are now.

20140121_200155.jpg

Three steps in the progression...

20140121_200649.jpg

Raw... As I got it back from heat treating

20140124_135439.jpg

Mid-way through the copper. You can see some of the scratches that are and were filled. It also shows where there was some distortion in the part that I was able to fill and flatten.

20140121_200543.jpg

Copper plated and polished

20140121_200457.jpg

Nickel plated and polished

It's just time.
    Last edited by MIBill; 10-29-2019 at 10:25 AM.

5. Likes NC Rick liked this post