What's new
What's new

NO AMMO in any of the stores.

Crash2much

Plastic
TV news says gun sales have doubled and ammo is being bought as fast as the stores can restock. I have been hearing this for weeks on TV. Today I learned why.

It is because people are STUPID!

Some people have gone into a panic thinking guns and ammo are all going to be ban by the new government administration so the people that believe this are buying up all the guns and ammo they can get.

Some people will believe anything. It is like the Y2K non sense 8 years ago.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=4404

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,990111,00.html

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0126-07.htm

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/news/suicide-seeds

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/news/suicide-seeds

http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/engdahl/2006/0828.html

And this is a problem how? The gun industry is booming, hiring, when others are laying off. People who never thought of owning a gun are suddenly becoming aware of their rights, realizing that .gov can't, won't and isn't responsible for protecting them.

Burgularies are skyrocketing and because tax revenue has gone in the crapper, the only thing the police are concerned with is generating revenue via traffic enforcement so they can hang onto their jobs and the .gov funds. Catching theives doesn't generate revenue for the cops, there is no .gov funding to subsidize a reduction in burgulary.

Stupid, yep, but I'd rather see them buying guns & ammo than buying really stupid stuff like little bean bag animals, baseball cards and dolls. At least the better portion of the guns & ammo are still made on U.S. soil and not in some tin shanty in China.

I fail to see the problem either, if someone wants to buy 50,000 rounds of ammo or 1,000 Ar-15's why not? Yep, its your right-EXERCISE it!!! Plus like CS223 says, it helps the firearms industry, which a good chunk are AMERICAN manufacturers!

I just wonder if there were similar people before the machine gun ban kicked in that did the same thing...went out and bought as much as they could...was before my time, so I can't tell you...now who has the last laugh of being as stupid as buying as many machine guns as you could? :eek:

Eric

I've sold all my ammo the first day at the last two gun shows.

The real change at the early Feb. show was a huge increase in people trying to sell used guns due to the local economy which crashed in Dec/Jan.

Some people will believe anything. It is like the Y2K non sense 8 years ago.

Not hardly. The threat of sweeping gun legislation is all but certain. Your new liberal Attorney General said this just yesterday:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6960824&page=1

It is more "stupid" to compare this to "Y-2K". Personally, I think the most intelligent people are the ones doing the buying. Before this is over this a$$hat is going to bankrupt this country and collapse the dollar entirely with his out of control borrowing and spending. He is no different than the individuals who borrowed and spent their way into bankruptcy in the over inflated housing market. He is just doing it on a grander scale, and we'll be the ones to pay the price. So don't get too cozy in your, "What Me Worry", recliner. Bill T.

Yep , NOT the same at all, There IS a threat.

But Rush said that Even Polosi told obama he has too much on his plate to go after guns right now.

right now or later does it matter when they come after your gun rights?

i remember back when i was in the boy scouts. we were tought to " be prepared" now what does that mean? having a few extra gals. of gas to run the generator if things do out? having a lot of canned food and water stored up incase of a bad storm? having a way to heat your house without reling on a gas,oil or elect. company? or having a few extra guns and a good supply of ammo.

maybe they are stupid like a fox.

What is interesting is since the election the posture of gun and ammo buying has shifted. Immediately after the election people were buying AR-15's and AK-47's one at a time, with a couple of boxes of ammo. This was because of initial fears that Hussein would ban them. This position has now shifted to people buying 3 and 4 AR-15's or AK-47's at a crack, and a couple thousand rounds of ammo, because they now fear this moron will collapse the dollar, and the economy along with it. This trend is continuing. At the Cabela's near me on weekends people are 2 and 3 deep at the gun counter. You literally have to take a number. Most gun shops are completely sold out of anything AR-15 or AK-47 related. Don't look for this to end anytime soon. Bill T.

re

what a bunch of baloney

if one must live in fear of something, go right ahead.

BTW the dollar is stronger than it was during W's failed attempt to run the show.

Note that the court, being lifetime appointments act as an intentional damper to the swings of power left and right.

Do you know of some plot against Scalia/Thomas/Alito et al that the rest of us are unaware of?

Go ahead, love your guns, but at least be happy with them

Note that the court, being lifetime appointments act as an intentional damper to the swings of power left and right.

Do you know of some plot against Scalia/Thomas/Alito et al that the rest of us are unaware of?

You really need to wake up, then smarten up! The Heller decision went our way by ONE VOTE. There are SCJ's Hussein will have to appoint before his term is up. Do you think he is going to appoint conservatives? Can you count to 9 and divide? Bill T.

Guns are baaaaad, m'kay? :stirthepot:

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/02/25/ap6095158.html

Sector Snap: Pistol makers up since Obama election
By MIKE OBEL , 02.25.09, 12:56 PM EST

The election of President Obama and a Democratically controlled Congress has been a boon to U.S. handgun makers, with sales of one pistol manufacturer climbing enough that an analyst Wednesday upgraded its stock to "Strong Buy" from "Accumulate."

CL King & Assoc. analyst Jim Barrett upgraded shares of Sturm, Ruger & Co. after the Southport, Conn.-based company reported its firearm revenue soared 81 percent in the fourth quarter.

"We are raising our rating, recognizing that sales are benefiting from what is clearly a one-time surge in gun sales due to the arrival of the new Democratic administration," Barrett said.

Since President Obama's Nov. 3, 2008, election, Sturm's shares have climbed more than 20 percent. And shares of rival Smith & Wesson Holding Corp., based in Springfield, Mass., have shot up about 40 percent.

Deutsche Bank-North America analyst Grant Govertsen, responding to an FBI report earlier this month that January background checks on potential firearms purchasers increased 29 percent from the same month of 2007, said fear of coming federal restrictions is boosting sales.

"Given heightened consumer fears of tighter gun control laws we would suspect an abnormally elevated level of firearms purchases over the next few quarters as consumers continue to stockpile guns, especially handguns and tactical (weapons)," he said.

The wave of gun buying is lifting sales of firearms retailers, too. Last week Sidney, Neb.-based sporting goods chain Cabela's Inc. said its fourth-quarter profit beat Wall Street estimates, partly on robust gun sales.

Cabela's expects the surge of gun buying to continue.

"We are not seeing the demand slow down," Cabela's spokesman Joe Arterburn said. "Many (customers) are first-time handgun buyers, who have never had a handgun in their home but believe now ... is a good time to buy them. More women are coming in looking to buy handguns, as well."

In midday trading shares of Sturm, Ruger jumped 99 cents, or 12.7 percent, to $8.79. Shares of Smith & Wesson rose 21 cents, or 5.9 percent, to $3.74.

Ah, the subject of guns in America! It brings several wonderful sayings to mind…

Politics is a systematic organization of hatred. – Henry Adams

Never try to reason the prejudice out of a man. It was not reasoned into him, and cannot be reasoned out. - Sydney Smith

"Most of our so-called reasoning consists of finding arguments for going on believing as we already do." - James Harvey Robinson

But just my take; who would have ever thought the industry would have been caught with their pants down on production and inventory? The proverbial plane is in an uncontrolled dive and contact with the ground is imminent. Some could make an argument that guns sales are a simple barometer on the future of this present economy.

what a bunch of baloney

if one must live in fear of something, go right ahead.

BTW the dollar is stronger than it was during W's failed attempt to run the show.

Go ahead, love your guns, but at least be happy with them

From the commonwealth...tell us more about currency, guns and presidents.

I'm going to enjoy this...

I'm all ears.

Ben

American automatic weapons and grenades???

The attorney general obviously thinks we're just stupid americans who can't read. The problem in Mexico is the drug cartells along the border have automatic weapons and grenades, that they obviously jumped the border and bought at the local gringo gunshop. Maybe our government should be more concerned with policing the BATF as the mexicans must be getting issued class III permits with their green cards. Maybe they should police their border patrol , maybe get some of our WMD's back during the mass round trip Walmart uzi sale. Come to your senses people, this is just more B.S. from big brother.

No Ammo Available

I read these threads concerning no ammo and gun control with no idea what is going to happen in the future. I am a firm believer in the 2nd amendment. I do believe that if we are able to keep our right to bear arms we must take a stand. Write someone in Washington.

In 1964 I started reloading and shooting. I was raised with a hunting gun and taught respect for everything breathing, mostly other folks. What really terrifies me is seeing this (generally) younger group buying these automatic (military looking) weapons. It has been my experience that most do not know much about guns at all. I am not saying they do not have a right, only that it is leaving an impression on the general public (and the new media loves it) that this is about killing people.

Me I am a Remington 700 bull-barrel, good scope, shooter. I have a mess of them and reload all of the time. Back some months ago I started hearing and seeing reloading supplies getting hard to find. Yes, you can bet I am going to stock up. Who knows where these idiots are leading us? I just don't see anything wrong with buying 10,000 primers at a time.

I traveled most of the world and have seen gun control. I am afraid of what I've seen. I am not paranoid but afraid.

Makes sense to me...

While it is not debatable that the Bush 43 administration's "Benign Neglect" policy toward the dollar weakened it's value considerably, the USD only appears stronger today because other strong currencies (GBP, EUR) have weakened. And the the reason for their weakening is their exposure to our banking crisis, plus they have much greater exposure to developing markets which are likely to collapse.

Regrettably, the Obama administrations policies are not only likely to exacerbate a Dollar collapse, but they almost seem designed to intentionally do so.

There are only three ways out of this situation:

1. Increase wages until the average worker can afford the average house at a price not too far below the average median value between 2003-2006, ending the housing collapse.

2. Allow housing prices to fall down to a level that matches the depressed wages of average workers and make housing affordable that way.

3. Devalue the currency, allowing employers to pay their workers more with "Monopoly Money", which then makes housing affordable again, and makes it much easier to repay massive consumer debt with the newer, cheaper currency.

#1 Screws the employers and screws the government since they have to increase everybody's Social Security payments due to real inflation.

#2 Destroys wealth on a massive scale.

#3 Only screws those with large savings in cash or equivalents, and it allows the government to repudiate it's absolutely colossal debt.

Which do you think is going to be the most politically viable option? Hint: #3 was already done by F.D.R., the Democrats idol.

May I suggest it's time to emulate the Swiss:

1. Make sure your money is backed in gold.
2. Beware of foreign entanglements.
3. Keep your rifle and 500 rounds of ammunition in your closet.

-Jorge
Miami, FL USA

P.S. I'd buy more ammo but I'm too broke now.

Shame we can't convince the populace that the government is going to put restrictions or a ban on precision parts or we could all benefit from the ignorance of the public.
There's no better marketing scheme for any one company that to take an already highly controversial item and tell their loyal followers the government is going to take them away. I love this country and my guns.

What really terrifies me is seeing this (generally) younger group buying these automatic (military looking) weapons. It has been my experience that most do not know much about guns at all. I am not saying they do not have a right, only that it is leaving an impression on the general public (and the new media loves it) that this is about killing people.

Me I am a Remington 700 bull-barrel, good scope, shooter. I have a mess of them and reload all of the time.

I'm only slightly behind you in that I started shooting and reloading in 1972. I do agree with you to a point, but with different reasoning. I too see these younger people going whole hog for anything in the "black rifle" dept. I myself own several, (5 AR-15's and 2 AK-47's). With that said I also own and shoot many long range bolt actions, 4 of them Remington 700's.

What bothers me with the young black rifle owners and shooters is how they are dividing the sport, and gun ownership in general. They are very big on classifying gun owners. They like to refer to guys who hunt with traditional wood stocked, bolt action hunting rifles as "Fudds", in reference to the cartoon character. They mock Trap shooters with high end Trap guns, and label them as "yuppie suburbanites". They show up at ranges, both public and private, or out in the desert, and bump fire magazine fulls of ammo into hillsides dressed in their "camo cowboy" outfits. (If they can classify, so can I). None of this does any of us any good. They have the mentality that hunters and NRA members have "thrown them under the bus" so to speak, which of course is total nonsense. If it weren't for the NRA they wouldn't even be doing what they are doing, because AR-15's and AK-47's would have been gone for good. How quickly they forget it was the NRA that demanded the sunset clause in the 1994 AWB. The Dems agreed because they never thought they would lose control of both Houses in the very next election.

This sport, and right of gun ownership in general requires us all, more than ever to get on the same page. As was once said, "A house divided cannot stand". Very true. These young guys need to start wising up. We are not their enemy, nor are they ours. Bill T.

Back