What's new
What's new

Octagon barrel milling anyone?

Ronniet

Aluminum
I have a project that I would like to do some work on and I think I want make the barrel , a 1/2 round 1/2 octagon shape?
Its a new Shaw CM barrel unthreaded and not chambered in a .375 caliber.
Its in a heavy varmint contour and I intended to turn it down to a lighter weight but have a notion to do the octagon/round contour?
I don't think the barrel would make a totally tapered octagon contour and come in at 24". I believe it is currently at 28"?
I could thread it and turn the round part but with my imported Bench mill I don't think I want to ruin the new barrel.
I can supply measurements of the new barrel and I have a German Krupp manufactured Barrel in 8x57 that is 1/2 round 1/2 octagon I would like to mimic.
I also have a 1893 Marlin in a 26" 1/2round 1/2 octagon that is in 38-55 that is same bore as the .375 and I can supply the round and octagon sizes of .
I was just wondering if anyone is interested in doing the octagon part for me.?
Let me know,
Ron

I don't have much for a Lathe, it is a Craftsman Atlas.
But my inclination would be to chuck the barrel, lock the head and attach a cutter or grinder to the apron/tool post.

If its octagon all the way to the breech face, no tulip, you can do it in the lathe by shaving it. Would take a lot of patience and maybe some figuring and fabbing to index it.

A tulip could be done too, but you'd need to index and cut the radii first, and then blended into them.

Theres a guy in Australia, I think, who's done several of his own and posted great descriptions and photos of his work. If I get onto something better than a phone today I'll look it up.

Yes the tulip at the breach looks the best, my marlin is flat cut to the reciever but the German barrel I have has a tulip cut with about .200+ of round next to the reciever.
The German appears to have been cut with about a 1" mill on the side of the mill according to the scallop of the Tulip.
Yep My table is not long enough to do it especially with a tail stock and Indexer mounted on it , if I had a tail stock and indexer.
Ron

Try Carl Kampfeld in Idaho. Had him do a hex barrel for a high end rifle and he did a great job.

Kampfeld has been very quick to get me numerous bolts and barrels in the past couple years. He does a great job fluting straight or spiral and had him try a new way that looks like wrought iron. Turned out amazing

His name is Karl Kampfeld and he is not behind. Sent him some bolts Thursday and he did them today. Less than a week turnaround with shipping.

Listen kid! Go to Karl Feldkamp's website and see what he calls himself. If that ain't good enough, ask him if you really do business with him.
I'll await for your response and apology. How did you post it originally, Carl?

Listen kid! Go to Karl Feldkamp's website and see what he calls himself. If that ain't good enough, ask him if you really do business with him.
I'll await for your response and apology. How did you post it originally, Carl?
My apologies. I was wrong. I have done a ton of bolts and barrels with Karl and have called him Mr Kampfeld for 3 years! Now I feel bad because he has never corrected me. You were right and I was wrong.

Back