Oh .. I just went through me guns and i do have a 98 military, think it is a 1908 s
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Oh .. I just went through me guns and i do have a 98 military, think it is a 1908 s

Oh .. I just went through my guns and I do have a 98 military, think it is a 1908

it is a 1906...no S that was just a keyboard (bum but) mistake..
    It has sling holders on the bottom and side. likely I will try to find a bayonet for it and perhaps German case. anyone know much about them, what might it be worth with all matching numbers and in new condition.
    Also have a pocket with the original case, and did have a war time High Power but gave that to my son.

1906 mauser 98 for sale - Yahoo Image Search Results

No, mine is not for sale / at this time...might consider that down the road..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    it is a 1906...no S that was just a keyboard (bum but) mistake..
    It has sling holders on the bottom and side. likely I will find a bayonet for it and perhaps German case. anyone know much about them, what might it be worth with all matching numbers and in new condition.
    Also have a pocket with the original case, and did have a war time High Power but gave that to my son.
    No idea on value but it might be tough to sell during the current situation. Here all gun shops are closed by order of the Governor and meeting a buyer face to face might trigger unwanted attention re "social distancing". I still check Craigslist for tools but I wonder how people intend to complete transactions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In Colorado gun stores are considered an essential business.
    Not here in Calif though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last guns I sold, I sold through a gun dealer..He was also a state cop so he knew the proper methods. Yes it cost me 50 bucks per gun.
    My dad gave up being a gun trader because of all the paper work.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have to try these 150gr in me shooter 98.
    I gave up on the 98 in favor of a 98-30/06, one that my day had custom made.It is my deer gun along with my 243.

8 MM 150 GR. SPT – Sierra Bullets

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A mint Gewehr 98 matching numbers ,not duffle cut ,nor molested in any way,nice bore ,with a std bayonet ,worth ,six months ago ,up to $2,000.US....What make is it ...Erfurt ,Danzig ,Amberg ,etc?....value about the same for mint...Less common like V.Chr. Schilling ,Waffenwerk Oberspree,or Mauser worth more........Sling on side as well as conventional ,maybe a Karabiner 98B,post WW1 treaty gun.....Does it have the 'roller coaster sight" or a leaf type ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You have really posted nothing that we could use to ID your rifle. No way to advise you on it. Also remember $2000 Aussie dollars is about $1320 USD.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Value in US $....but no way to forecast when the dust finally settles .....stats for the pandemic show it takes the collector age group ,so who knows what will be in 6,12 months...Yes ,put up some pics....Im not a Mauser expert ,but do have a few Mauser books with lots of pretty pics,by Mauser experts..Such as the "Mauser Military Rifles Of the World ",a standard reference...You might also peruse the Gunboards Forum, military Mauser section..............but note I said "unmolested"...that includes cleaning ....any refinishing ,sanding ,touching up is bad... ,drilled holes for scope mounts ,divide by 10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Value in US $....but no way to forecast when the dust finally settles .....stats for the pandemic show it takes the collector age group ,so who knows what will be in 6,12 months...Yes ,put up some pics....Im not a Mauser expert ,but do have a few Mauser books with lots of pretty pics,by Mauser experts..Such as the "Mauser Military Rifles Of the World ",a standard reference...You might also peruse the Gunboards Forum, military Mauser section..............but note I said "unmolested"...that includes cleaning ....any refinishing ,sanding ,touching up is bad... ,drilled holes for scope mounts ,divide by 10.

John, I sell some shooting items in OZ and am aware of the exchange situation.
    Back to what I posted, without any info it may be a Fiat instead of an Isetta.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well if in original condition,
    an 98 made in 1906 would be WW1 rifle
    straight bolt and long, Imperial German markings

kind of depends when it was taken out of military circulation.
    end of WW1 or WW2

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pics please, this is an area I well versed in. Always like studying a new example.

It would take a very exceptional example to achieve 2k, IME, unless a scarce maker/date, or a desirable unit marking.

Side and bottom sling mounts together are not a style seen on a German Gew98 in military form. The Germans were weird about how a rifle was classified as to carbine or rifle; carbines of any barrel length were carbines because of side mounted sling and a bent bolt (Kar98b). A rifle can be short barreled but having a bottom mount sling and straight bolt (Standardmodell). It can be even more confusing, a Kar88 and a Gew91 are the exact rifle, but the latter has a stacking hook added.