OT - 30 M2 armor piercing ammo test
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default OT - 30 M2 armor piercing ammo test

All this hard core ammo talk (and the nice weather) forced me to get the old '03 Mk1 Springfield out for some "politically incorrect ammo" testing.

We have core penetration through 1/2" HR mild steel plate, through a good solid 2x6, and stuck into another HR mild steel plate. Bullets pulled from WW2 corrosive 30 M2 ammo and reloaded over 48 gr of IMR 4064. Range 50 yards.

Plus other pictures of various ammo

Spring is here - time to burn powder !

excello
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2325.jpg   img_2323.jpg   img_2320.jpg   img_2311.jpg   img_2310.jpg  

2. Likes BridgeportinD2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My dad told me about taking his friends new 257 Weatherby out to try it out. They shot both the 257 and my dad's 06 into a railroad rail. The black tipped 06 rounds only made a 1/4 inch deep dent in the rail. The 257 punched a clean hole all the way through even though the bullet blew up on the surface. They then saw a jack rabbit out a couple hundred yards and the friend shot twice at it without disturbing it. My dad watched the next shot with the spotting scope, he thought the bullet might have been deflecting off a twig in between the shooter and the rabbit, but the bullets were disintegrating 1/2 way there. No telling how much velocity those original 87 grain 257 bullets were getting. The friend had to have the barrel bored out to 270 Weatherby after 100 rounds as it was shot out!
    Last edited by FredC; 03-09-2015 at 03:41 PM. Reason: defective keyboard

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many years ago I loaded a few 110GR RN 30 cal carbine bullets in 30-06 brass with velocity - according to the reloading manual - just over 3000fps. A shot from 25 yards at a 1/2" steel plate resulted in a hole close to 1/2" in diameter that looked like it had been drilled except for the blow out on the back side.

Bob
    WB8NQW