What's new
What's new

P17 Enfield missing safety

Asmith8o

Plastic
I just picked up a sportered 1917 Enfield for next to nothing. I had an idea of turning it into a scout rifle since the barrel was already cut down to 18 inches.

I checked it over pretty well before buying it and noticed the safety was missing, but at the time I thought I could just buy some replacement parts and be back in business. Once I got home I noticed that whoever sportered it had removed the safety by grinding on the receiver until the whole thing was gone. Needless to say I don't think getting some parts from Sarco are going to fix this.

I'm not willing to take this into the woods hunting without a safety, but I don't want to abandon the project. Anybody have any ideas on how to get some kind of safety on here?

I've looked into the aftermarket triggers, and they're a no-go. Timney doesn't make a model with the built in safety for the p17, and Dayton Traister doesn't either.

I did find a replacement cocking piece that puts a 3 position safety on the bolt, but the gentleman who made it has stopped producing them

Mine has a 3 POS Ed's is not what I have, but what you need. An Ed LaPour custom Enfield 3 Position Safety | Ed LaPour GunSmithing
23k7kac.jpg

Where did you get your 3 position safety? I checked Ed's website and it says he no longer makes any of the 3 position safeties. I agree, tho, it would be the ideal solution

Where did you get your 3 position safety? I checked Ed's website and it says he no longer makes any of the 3 position safeties. I agree, tho, it would be the ideal solution

I didn't notice that when I checked his site a few minutes ago. I know he quit for a while as Ed said he was redesigning them. Mine was put together from loose parts in a shop's million dollar drawer. That is the drawer full of throw away parts that are worth priceless money when you find them.

Last edited:
Would you mind taking a few pics of what you put together? I like to see how you solved this problem

The 3 position safety that is no longer made is your best option there, short of soldering a new block back on which is more work than its worth IMO. I started making a 3 pos safety for an action that I have, but have yet to finish it. It would be cheaper in just about every way to move this one on and pick up one that has the safety block.

Numrich Gun Parts Corp has an original for $7.20,

Safety Manufacturer: U.S. Military
Model: Enfield 1917
Product #: 412850B

Some have replaced 03 Springfield with Win M70's. I believe its the same thread as the P-14 and P-17 Enfield. Let me know if this is doable for you. If not, I'd be interested in the action. I might do a trade. I'd have to see where you are in MD.

A Timney Springfield trigger will fit a 1917 Enfield. You might need to add metal to the bottom of the Enfield cocking piece so it will reach the Timney sear face. A piece of good steel silver soldered to the bottom of the cocking piece and trimmed all around to match will do it. You will also need a steel plug in the receiver sear spring cavity under the Timney set screw. It is not critical, just a short piece of round rod dropped in the hole before tightening the screw. Look here: https://timneytriggers.com/springfield/ The featherweight deluxe has a side safety. You might have some interference between the receiver and the safety lever, but that should not be a big problem to remedy.

RWO

The British bought 500,000 M17 s in 1940,and called them Pattern 17 ,probably to be uniform with the P14......which by that time was classified as the No3 rifle.

According to the U.S. War Department it is called "U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30 M1917 (Enfield). You can thank gun writers for the Pattern 17 nick name.

Call Ed Lapour, his safeties are slowing becoming available again.

Most likely he will take your name and information if you want to order one.

Back