What's new
What's new

Lathe drive dog

Sophiedoc

Cast Iron
In Oct 2001 Kurt Westfall described his method of turning a barrel between centers by making the headstock center in place in the chuck so it was true and turning between centers but I'm a little confused about how he drives this with a dog since there is no drive plate.My lathe work is mainly with farm machinery but I want to try a little barrel work in my waning years-thanks.

You can drive the dog off the chuck jaw. If threading it's a good idea to mark the jaw that's driving so if you have to take the workpeice out it will go back in the same position. Also you should recut the center in the chuck each time you use it to just to make sure it is running true. That's the way I was taught anyway.

Jon

if ur spindle doesent allow thru the h/stock chambering ; w/ a thrd spindle , a conventional drive plate/dog/center allows lacing the dog to plate abt 3 turns lose ,& then by scewing plate all the way to register , the barrel is held tite against center for chambering w/ a stdy rest on far end ..

one advantage of a center in the chuck is the ability to true it "dead nuts" ,which ur spindle may not be....which is why old timers used a soft center in h/stock & trued it each time ,as the solid bearing spindles frequently had runout

best wishes
docn8as

Back