What's new
What's new

Pantograph Use In gunsmithing?

Pantographs make teeny parts from big templates. In Photo 1, you can EASILY see the templates but you have to look some to see the parts made

As far as machine tools go ( or plain old hand tools for that matter ) - all of them will depend on YOU knowing what to do with them

Just having them will not get any "guns made":D

Attachments

• Scan 01.jpg
    Scan 01.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 146
  • Scan 02.jpg
    Scan 02.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 236
  • Scan 03.jpg
    Scan 03.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Scan 04.jpg
    Scan 04.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 124
I did not see any machine I would call a pantograph in that video. I did see a number of machines I would call tracers which followed a path determined by a template to perform a machining operation on a part. But each machine did only a single operation on the part. The part had to be placed on several-to-many machines before all operations were completed.

Would you know what tools I need to build guns from scratch?
Yes. But if your asking this, you're really not ready to do so. Do you understand metal hardness? The legal side of manufacturing? The legal side of patents and what is infringement? The design and function of what your trying to build? Are you looking for a way to get a gun without paperwork? Save money? Educational exercise? Have you built a firearm from parts? From a 80% frame or lower? Have you ever owned a firearm? Shot one?

Knowing nothing about you or your goals, there's no way to advise you what you need to do.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My goal is to make parts kits for guns that aren't produced anymore using manual machine tools since CNC machine tools are very expensive ,and if CNC machine tools break then they are much more expensive to fix than manual machine tools. I know the legal side of patents and what infringement is. I am also looking to make this a educational exercise to teach myself gunsmithing. I have fired firearms in the past ,and I would like to learn the gunsmithing trade ,and more specifically how to produce parts for semi auto sporting rifles that are no longer produced anymore or are not sold in the US for whatever reason.

Seems crazy to me.

I own a pantograph- a stock duplicator- and the level of precision attainable is laughable when compared to that which is required for most parts of firearms. Accuracy is measured in hundredths, not thousandths (or tenths of thousandths).

Manual lathes and mills will make the parts...certainly no need for machining centers.
After all, that's how every part on the firearms you're referring to were made.
CNC was non-existent...

You say you want to learn gunsmithing- so you need to learn machining. Set up a shop- lathe, mill, and the other usual suspects- and start making chips.

Might be feasible to send more complicated,original parts to be duplicated to someone with a CMM for highly accurate shops(?) that would provide detailed measurements for manual reproduction to save time.

But seems to me, parts that are in common demand and worth the time to write the code would already be in production at a cost where you could not compete.

I first saw this post and assumed he was was wanting to put serial numbers and such on firearms, which a pantograph would be perfect for. But when I read the little farther ....no way.

My goal is to make parts kits for guns that aren't produced anymore using manual machine tools since CNC machine tools are very expensive ,and if CNC machine tools break then they are much more expensive to fix than manual machine tools. I know the legal side of patents and what infringement is. I am also looking to make this a educational exercise to teach myself gunsmithing. I have fired firearms in the past ,and I would like to learn the gunsmithing trade ,and more specifically how to produce parts for semi auto sporting rifles that are no longer produced anymore or are not sold in the US for whatever reason.

A Bridgeport mill fits what you want.
A lot of learning will be involved which will not be money making but can be fun and challenging.
Bob

It's a valid goal. First, make sure there's a market. Keep in mind that an advantage of CNC is labor costs, something to watch for if you intend to sell the parts.

You're going to need an original part to copy and that's another area where CNC wins. You'll also need several original guns that work to test your parts in.

Mostly, you're going to need to learn whatever tools you do choose. I'm not going to suggest any specific choices, some of that is up to you and this particular forum is biased toward specific tool choices that I don't happen to use.

Gunsmiths make parts all the time and many are made by hand. Most parts are available, even for long discontinued firearms, and you t do a lot of research into your future products.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back