What's new
What's new

Pitting on Mauser action, how much is too much?

Sdawgz

Plastic
Hello, I have had this old Mauser action for some time now. It has some deep pitting, approximately 1/16 inch deep, below the right hand bolt lug. Is this receiver unsafe to use?
Shawn

If it is chambered for the original cartridge that should not be a problem. However, it is a little hard to see from here, so I could be wrong. Gary P. Hansen

It has some deep pitting, approximately 1/16 inch deep, below the right hand bolt lug.

Do you mean on the bottom flat behind the recoil lug? A picture would be worth a thousand words (all right, a hundred words.)

Sorry about the short answer being too short. I assumed you had a surplus Mauser that you had just remover the stock from, only to see something like this.

DSCN1866.jpg

If so, this will not weaken the action to any extent. This particular action will likely be used for a .308. I will clean it up and then determine if the pit will show above the stock I intend to use. If not, I will leave it as is. If it does, I will grind it out and MIG weld it, with a wet cloth in the bore to preclude tempering the case hardening on the lug ring. Tig is also acceptable but I don't have one. If you are good at stick welding, thats OK too. Just no gas weld. :)

Back