What's new
What's new

Poor Man's 1922 Springfield

Fred L

Plastic
I want to build a poor man's 1922 Springifeld .22 cal rifle. The originals are way too expensive to shoot anymore. I plan on using a 1903 receiver, 1922 .22 barrel and M2 bolt. I will need to fill in the rear extractor cut as the M2 bolt needs to rest against it (to be adjusted for headspace). I will also need to fill in the follower area and work some type of retainer for the magazine. I saw such a converstion some 25+ years ago by a local gunsmith now gone. Has anyone attempted this project?

I did this a couple of years ago. I was fortunate enough to pick up a project a local gunsmith had started, and finished it. He had installed a M1922 barrel and bolt on a 1903 action. I finished it and stocked it with a Fajen sporter blank I got at the same auction.

I filled the rear extractor cut by turning a cylinder the dimensions of the receiver at this point, cut out a segment and soldered it in place. Most of these conversions are singleshot, but I adapted the magazine. I made a filler of aluminum for the magazine guide. I had to mill out the front of the magazine cutout in the receiver to allow the magazine to come far enough forward to feed properly. I fastened the filler by tapping the sides of the receiver for set screws. All the modifications are below the wood line so they are not visible.

It made up into a very nice looking and shooting gun.

P1020614.jpg

In a few of the recent past issues of Shotgun News, there was a series of articles on how to make a 1922 from one of the inexpensive demilled 1903's currently available.

I bought a pretty nice 1922 off a one legged alcoholic a while back for $80. I can take pictures of specific parts if you would like. It shoots pretty well, won a local NRA 3pos comp with it for giggles. The magazine can be loaded while still locked in place similar to a center action. If I was going to build one I would use a different magazine. The barrel did not free float and sling tension was crucial.

I bought a pretty nice 1922 off a one legged alcoholic a while back for $80. I can take pictures of specific parts if you would like. It shoots pretty well, won a local NRA 3pos comp with it for giggles. The magazine can be loaded while still locked in place similar to a center action. If I was going to build one I would use a different magazine. The barrel did not free float and sling tension was crucial.

Pictures and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Fred do you have all the parts to start this project? I have considered doing one in 22mag, just never got the spare time to get it up an running. I've got an original that I shoot, cant seem to miss, Magpies in No. Nevada are dead meat with a cci stinger.

AL N

Fred do you have all the parts to start this project? I have considered doing one in 22mag, just never got the spare time to get it up an running. I've got an original that I shoot, cant seem to miss, Magpies in No. Nevada are dead meat with a cci stinger.

AL N

Yes, I have most of the metal parts to build four (4) rifles. I still need three (3) M2 cutoffs and two stocks, but I could use military stocks if necessary. The 03/03A3 cutoffs won't work.

Fred L

I took some pictures of my 1922. It was built in 1925 and arsenal rebuilt to the M2 model in the 40's, IIRC.

1922002.jpg

I will start with the bolt, it is quite complicated.

1922006.jpg

1922007.jpg

There is a single rear locking lug on the rotating portion of the bolt.

1922012.jpg

Headspace is set by a small insert into the locking lug.

1922011.jpg

The firing pin is on the centerline of the bolt but the head is offset to the body, there are also lightening cuts.

1922008.jpg

The ejector is on the left side of the bolt and is spring loaded towards the rear, when the bolt is drawn fully rearward it strikes the magazine cutoff ejecting the round from the single extractor.

1922009.jpg

1922010.jpg

1922014.jpg

The magazine can be loaded without removing it, which is good as they are difficult to remove and expensive to replace.

1922003.jpg

1922005.jpg

1922015.jpg

1922016.jpg

1922017.jpg

The trigger is the standard military affair, 2 stage. Mine has little creep and very good pull around 2lbs. The barrel is not free floated and sling tension varies the POA several minutes so I only shot one 3 pos match with it.

The one legged drunk did a "favor" for some older lady and was repaid with a rifle. He wanted $75 - for beer - not a rifle. I learned a long time ago that whenever someone says they know a guy with a really heavy rifle with sights that are little holes to immediately say you want to see it.

Didn't know exactly what it was, but handed him four Jacksons and bolted. They are quite expensive, but few are ever sold... I like mine quite a bit.

m1922 Springfield

Any one built a m2 using a 1903 receiver? I have all the parts to build a m2 except the receiver but I do have a spare 1903 receiver.
How do you hold the m2 magazine spring in the 1903 receiver? It looks like the orginal m2 receiver had a flat bottom with slots for the mag spring to slide into. I could weld a bottom back in the receiver with the needed slots but thought I would check with you guys first.

Thanks, Norm

Hey Fred,

I bought my 1922 M2 at a gun show about 20 years ago and have yet to shoot it. Here is a link to the pics of it. I believe this was done at an arsenal or a very good gunsmith. I do have to tweak the magazine to get it to lock in, but other than that everything functions perfect. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll tear it down and post some more pics for your reference.....

Hope this helps
Johnny V
NRA Life Member 1976

Here are some photos of mine. It is built on a 1903 action with an M2 barrel and bolt. I made an aluminum filler for the magazine well to utilize the M2 magazine;

P1070555.jpg

It has an extened portion on the chamber end and I milled out the bottom of the action to permit the filler to move ahead far enough to get it to feed properly. It was all cut and try, but works well.

P1070554.jpg

P1070556.jpg

I cut out the floorplate similar to the M1922 to allow the magazine to protrude.

P1070553.jpg

This is the filler for the extractor cut in the action. Mine would headspace without this, but it cleans up the back of the action.

P1070558.jpg

I purchased the barreled action, bolt and other bits as well as the Fajen stock at the auction of a local smith who had started the project and finished it up. It is a very accurate shooter, and a most rewarding project.

Thanks for the pictures Johnny V and Precision tools. Your pictures will help a lot. I picked up a new m22 barrel, used floor plate, and a like new complete bolt a few years ago. I also have a repo mag and mag spring and an old 1903 receiver. This has been one of those projects that found a place in the shop and forgotten about. I hope to finish it this winter. It will never be a real M22 but hopefully it will be a nice .22.

Thanks again, Norm

I have a 1922 serial number "13" I bought a couple years ago it has been sporterized with a wolf barrel and some hideous carved up stock lol. I will be making a custom out of it but I thought the serial number made it kind of special. I am thinking a 17 HMR would be pretty cool.

I know this post goes back a ways but I am in the same perdicament. Can you re-post the images of the filler to accomodate the magazine spring/catch. All of the above listed photos are showing as not available. thanks!

Not seen any of the respondents to this in years.,J wilson being most recent,and he just owns a gun ,is not one of the fabricants.......Maybe "Wayback Machine" still has the pics?......If you re only problem is the magazine position ,should be very simple to work out.

Back