What's new
What's new

Quarter rib for M70

allfoden

Aluminum
I want to make three (3) quarter ribs for the newest version Winchester M70 458WM to mount express leaf sights. Doing the constant diameter section of the quarter rib to match the barrel stub section is no problem. How are the two (2) tapered sections with decreasing diameters to match the barrel done? Somehow I have a mental block on this.

Using a 5 axis CNC machine, ...

No seriously, I would relieve the center of the rib at the diameter of the smallest section and only worry about making the edges touch. Assuming you plan to soft solder the rib on, the extra space in the middle (which wouldn't have to be much) can be the solder allowance.

Hey Ed,
check your solder BEFORE starting the work... brownells silver solder will NOT hot water blue.. but some folks have good luck with it in hot salts...

you might order a dakota rib, and see how they do it.. from brownells

jeffe

Determine your barrel taper using a dial indicator.

Select a piece of square stock that has enough material to complete 2 ribs when sawed in two pieces.

Chuck in 4 jaw chuck.Drill to the smallest diameter of your taper.

Set compound or taper attachment to your barrel taper.Bore hole with boring bar to match the barrel taper.

Mill your square stock in vise.Then use vertical bandsaw to saw into two quarter ribs.

www.roderuscustom.tzo.com/ There is thread in one of the machining or gunsmithihg forums on home built tooling to do this. It is similar to a pantograph using the barrels contour and works on a vertical mill. If you cannot find it post again, and I will dig it out when I have time tonight. Mike

Back