Problems threading Rossi 410 barrel for choke
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Problems threading Rossi 410 barrel for choke

I have done a TON of choke installation. I have run into the first of its kind.

Rossi 3" 410 Barrel fixed choke. During Reaming of barrel 40 RPM Plenty of Tacki Lube, same as always. Hand hold barrel while reamer held by 4 jaw and back of barrel held by mandrel in live center.

During threading: hold barrel in vise and hand thread using ptg tooling

While reaming the barrel the metal seemed gummy and would just grab. Not a uniformed ream. Then when threading instead of grabing the metal and threading into the barrel the threads would chip out.

Thought, to myself must be crazy. Try again another day. Cut back barrel, since now its too short. But repeat above steps. Same results

I have checked my tooling all sharp and new. Do you think there could have been something wrong with the metal alloy? Anyone else had any problems with a Rossi?

Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With a Rossi ? Yeah I would expect them to have crappier steel especially in their .410’s as those are low pressure cheap guns they probably don’t care about.
    However I recently single point threaded a tikka rifle for someone and the threads kept ripping off chunks and looked like crap. Had to cut it back twice to get good threads.
    FYI I thought it may be my tooling so I chucked up a barrel stub and threaded it perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    With a Rossi ? Yeah I would expect them to have crappier steel especially in their .410’s as those are low pressure cheap guns they probably don’t care about.
    However I recently single point threaded a tikka rifle for someone and the threads kept ripping off chunks and looked like crap. Had to cut it back twice to get good threads.
    FYI I thought it may be my tooling so I chucked up a barrel stub and threaded it perfectly.
    Thank you.