What's new
What's new

Program for AR15 soft jaws (Kurt type vise) both operations

Ralph@NES

Plastic
Hello,

07/02 FFL here and we finally got a CNC mill. Have the programs for the drilling (trigger, hammer, safety holes) and milling (fire control cavity) for 80% lowers up and running with jigs.

Would like to replace the jig with soft jaws for expedience as we plan to run about 200 units shortly. Hoping someone may have a program to setup soft jaws for these operations... Save me a little time. Would be willing to $ since we are supposed to be going into production this coming week.

Thanks!

I made a set of soft jaws using the direction near the end of this article by Ray Branden - http://www.arcaneiron.com/firearms/raybrandenscompletear15build.pdf

You may need to make some fine adjustments depending on your forgings but it worked well for me. The only change I would make if doing it again would be to extend the jaws out to 8" (still on a 6" vise) and put in "pins" for the take down and pivot holes to hold it so it will index better.

arlowerjig01.JPG

arlowerjig02.JPG

arlowerjig05.JPG

Hope this helps,

-Ron

Next time make one jaw longer, bout a 1/2", and you can place a hole for the pivot pin. Slide a pin in and whamo, X is handled. Y is handled by the vise jaw.

Next up, drill tap a hole for a small screw, 8-32 IIRC, that corresponds with the mag catch slot. You'll need to turn the head down to .250, but no big deal. In combination with the pivot pin detail above you have repeatable fixturing for X, Y, and Z.

If this doesn't make sense I'll show you a pic of mine tomorrow.

Sent via CNC 88HS

Next time make one jaw longer, bout a 1/2", and you can place a hole for the pivot pin. Slide a pin in and whamo, X is handled. Y is handled by the vise jaw.

Next up, drill tap a hole for a small screw, 8-32 IIRC, that corresponds with the mag catch slot. You'll need to turn the head down to .250, but no big deal. In combination with the pivot pin detail above you have repeatable fixturing for X, Y, and Z.

If this doesn't make sense I'll show you a pic of mine tomorrow.

Sent via CNC 88HS

Thanks for the offer but I think I already covered that in my post. I do like the idea of the mag catch slot, thanks! Great idea! ;)

How do you align the halves in the vise?

Just bolt them to my Kurt vise (see those big holes) and then use a 1-2-3 block to make sure the ends match up. I actually started with a set of tall soft jaws I bought on e-bay.

-Ron

Back