What's new
What's new

Proper name for "Courthouse Cannon"

magneticanomaly

Titanium
An agenda item came up for our County Commission, to explore restorations to the "cannon" that sits outside on the lawn.

Here are some photos. I'd like to know the proper name for the thing...I know "cannon" ain't exactly it. Then maybe I could look up some information so I could explain the parts and functions to my kids in more detail Heck, the guy who was supposed to come talk to the Commission about it has failed to show three times now, so maybe I could bid on some sort of "restoration"...I'm sure they do not want it in working order.

Attachments

• Courthouse Gun 1 26 10 18.jpg
    Courthouse Gun 1 26 10 18.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 486
  • Courthouse Gun 2 26 10 18.jpg
    Courthouse Gun 2 26 10 18.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 271
  • Courthouse Gun 3 26 10 18.jpg
    Courthouse Gun 3 26 10 18.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 273
  • Courthouse Gun 4 26 10 18.jpg
    Courthouse Gun 4 26 10 18.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Courthouse Gun 5 26 10 18.jpg
    Courthouse Gun 5 26 10 18.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 257
An agenda item came up for our County Commission, to explore restorations to the "cannon" that sits outside on the lawn.

Here are some photos. I'd like to know the proper name for the thing...I know "cannon" ain't exactly it. Then maybe I could look up some information so I could explain the parts and functions to my kids in more detail Heck, the guy who was supposed to come talk to the Commission about it has failed to show three times now, so maybe I could bid on some sort of "restoration"...I'm sure they do not want it in working order.

The nomenclature is right on it. They were "hybrids".

It had its moments, but "working order" proved to be a right b**t, given the target was a tank with other ideas that taking a hit, so "past sell by date" happened too often.!

M18 Hellcat and M10 Wolverine tracked TD's took over the duty. Both could scoot as well as shoot, M18 fast enough a tank main gun might not even be able to traverse fast enough to keep up with it, flanking in plain view.

You could probably find what you are looking for from some of the various military historical societies, but I guess why bother? That gun has most likely been de-militarized. Most often parts are welded or plugs welded in the barrels or receiver mechanisms.

Restoring it in my book would be sand blast it and repaint. Nothing else.

Tom

Please don't paint it black and chrome parts like on that other link posted above. I never understood the fascination with chroming.

You could probably find what you are looking for from some of the various military historical societies, but I guess why bother? That gun has most likely been de-militarized. Most often parts are welded or plugs welded in the barrels or receiver mechanisms.

Restoring it in my book would be sand blast it and repaint. Nothing else.

Tom

I'd not want to even sandblast anything orginally primed and painted, War Two.

Leaded paint disposal and a "governmental" body? Talk about talking points for a scandal the "council" would make a crusade out of?

Please don't paint it black and chrome parts like on that other link posted above. I never understood the fascination with chroming.

That would have been an SS Nazi plot. Chrome wudda given an SS Panzer Commander a chance at detecting the AT gun off the glint befre it brewed him up. Their black SS officers uniforms? Designed by gay Hugo Boss.

One wonders if he MEANT to make them easier targets than ordinary Wehrmacht in feldgrau?

:)

That would have been an SS Nazi plot. Chrome wudda given an SS Panzer Commander a chance at detecting the AT gun off the glint befre it brewed him up. Their black SS officers uniforms? Designed by gay Hugo Boss.

One wonders if he MEANT to make them easier targets than ordinary Wehrmacht in feldgrau?

:)

A friend who went ashore at Normandy on June 7 and carried a heavy .30 all the way to meet the Russians told me that after he helped liberate Buchenwald, Black uniforms didn't have white flags. Frontier justice on the spot.

Bill

A friend who went ashore at Normandy on June 7 and carried a heavy .30 all the way to meet the Russians told me that after he helped liberate Buchenwald, Black uniforms didn't have white flags. Frontier justice on the spot.

Bill

After word of Malmedy spread, "hands hocht" was met with the shout of "grenade!" and rounds expended. ANY uniform not our own. Bunch of stuff never makes the history books. One town had white flags out, some die-hard put a single 8mm round thru the front bumper of Dads Jeep.

Pulled back. Called in Time on Target fire every hour and half hour from Div Arty for three whole days.

Went back in, none of the few who had survived were still SANE. Hauled a massive T4 shaped charge to the roof of the city hall and blew the entire 900 year old rathaus into its own basement and the street around it.

Aachen? when Wiltz surrendered he said that when the Americans started using cannon as sniper rifles it was time to quit. Artillerymen were opening the breach, bore-sighting heavy tubes point-bank at cellar windows, one after another.

It wasn't all one-way. Shooting stopped, he was appointed on-orders (copy is online these days) as City Engineer, Frankfurt-am-Main to get streets cleared, sewers, water, and power back in working order. His workforce? Germans. Mostly former soldaten now in serious need of any sort of job that beat starving. They got along just fine, even joked a lot. What else was left?

Back