What's new
What's new

PTG vs JGS reamer bushings

NewGunPlumber

Aluminum
Rito guys. . . .here's the situation. . . I've got a few mixed JGS and PTG HSS and carbide reamers that I've had other Smith's use to chamber barrels for me. Some I have my own bushing for and others I don't.

Now I'm looking to get myself a set of bushings in each cal and a set of gritters indicator rods to match.

What I do know:
## Bushing for PTG carbide reamers are different to everything else.

## Oil grooved JGS pilots have smaller ID's to allow for a thicker pilot wall.

## Manson .17 and .20 cal pilots have a different ID to PTG

## JGS don't make gritters style indicator rods so I would need to order through PTG and by proxy end up needing PTG bushings to suit.

What I need an definitive answer on is "are standard (non grooved, non carbide) bushings from 17 through to 30 interchangeable between PTG and JGS?"

JGS have provided the below on their bushings but haven't received any info from PTG yet.

.1675 - .1985 (17-20 Cal) #0 (.1092)

.209 - .243 (22-6mm) #1 (.1891)

.247 - .2775 (25-7mm) #2 (.2200)

.297 - .486 (30-45 cal) #3 (.2521)

All is a strong word, but my old PTG bushing sets fit my new JGS reamers.

I have PTG bushing sets in 22, 6.5, 7mm and 308. I used to buy everything from PTG. I now use JGS because the company is easier to work with. I've found 100% compatibility with my new reamers. I only buy straight flute HSS reamers with standard pilots.

Manson reamers are different.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO

JGS and PTG pilots for std HSS reamers are interchangeable. I do not own any carbide reamers, but the occasion where a customer has provided one (PTG's) the standard pilots fit.

You can make your own Gritters style rods to fit your bushings, just use a piece of ground drill rod smaller than bore diameter. Turn the end down for a snug fit of the bushing and drill and tap the end for a screw. It doesn't even have to be perfectly straight as it never rotates. I have one that I made that I purposely put a bend in it towards the indicator to ensure a tight fit to the bore. This was for use in some experimental barrels that were not a consistent bore diameter.

Lots of bushings in the top shelf of this big Kennedy Kit.

Over 100 reamers in the drawers.

rMRKlC6.jpg

I gave up gun building about 1998. Just got to be too much of a hassle. Plus living in Anti Gun Washington State was the final straw.

Anyway, back to the reamers, most are PTG, bought way back when the quality was good and I had Dave Kiff's direct phone number. A few are JGS. Pilots are interchangeable.

Give some thought to what reamer maker you want to deal with. In PTG reamers, the flutes extend all the way to the retaining screw. Thus you can notch the retaining screw to greatly increase the flow of the pumped coolant down the barrel and out past the reamer.

458 Lott reamer shown. I remove the bushing, tighten the screw snugly, and cut the notches with a small 3 corner file.

jbP6v92.jpg

Not using a pumped coolant system?? Shut down the lathe now and either build or buy a system. I posted photos years ago of mine, if there is any interest I will put the photos up again.

Last edited:
I gave up gun building about 1998. Just got to be too much of a hassle. Plus living in Anti Gun Washington State was the final straw.

True words on Washington state being extremely unfriendly (if not down right hostile) towards guns.

And I agree with 300sniper -- that is one amazing collection!!

Back