What's new
What's new

Split barrel

Monday

Plastic
Hello, i’m making a single shot pistol in cal. 22 long rifle, and i got two very short barrels for .22, can i use these barrels as one, using a steel pipe that the barrels fit inside of, and some epoxy or JB weld to keep everything in place?

Hello, i’m making a single shot pistol in cal. 22 long rifle, and i got two very short barrels for .22, can i use these barrels as one, using a steel pipe that the barrels fit inside of, and some epoxy or JB weld to keep everything in place?

Just this one work would not post because one word is to shot a post

No.

A revolver got a ”splitted barrel”, the cylinder and barrel isn’t solid.

This is what i’m talking about Imgur: The magic of the Internet

If the problem is that the gas will escape in the middle of the barrel, and the epoxy would’nt be strong enough to hold the barrel together, even though it’s supported along, would the solution be to make went holes and leave a small gap between the barrels?

It would basically be like a revolver ”barrel” then?

If i thread the barrels and pipe instead of useing epoxy, would that be enough to hold it in place?

Like a suppressor

OMG, I was going to post something here, but deleted all I had to say, and I advise everyone here to stop encouraging you to continue posting on this forum. This added with your other posts, I can see any advise ending up in court someday. Please stop working on anything other than squirt guns.

What’s the matter? I’m just collecting information and thoughts. It’s not illegal, giving advise isn’t illegal neither. Why would anything end up in court?

In theory, if everything is strong enough, it could work and be legal. The interrupted and probably not aligned rifling would destroy any accuracy. There could also be a danger of a bullet becoming lodged in the barrel at the transition, causing the next shot to explode the gun. Don't do it.

I am not sure that you know that liners can be purchased and glued in an old shot out barrel that has been drilled to the appropriate size. Technically what you ask could be done by someone that took their time and did it right, but using a piece of pipe that does not even have a round hole, pieces of barrel that will not have the bore in the middle, it would be easy to get a 50% mismatch in alignment of the 2 barrels. 25% or more mismatch and it will probably come UNGLUED the first shot.
Not worth the effort to even try on something that has little chance of being accurate. There are too many old 22 barrels of any length you want that the actions are worn out and can be had for next to nothing or probably nothing to spend time with something that will most like give poor results even with a lot of effort to make it reasonably safe. I needed a longer barrel on a cheap revolver to control varmints, I walked into a gunsmith's shop and he gave me 12 inches of brand new 22 heavy target barrel. If can not find the appropriate length of 22 barrel for little or nothing it is because you have not tried.

Just this one work would not post because one word is to shot a post

No.

Been done.

Just not with JB weld and pipe.

See "HARP" gun.

It should scale down OK. Stupidity would scale UP, inversely, of course

OTOH, stupidity seems to be ever in surplus...

See also a movie "The American". George Clooney.

The story is fictional. The sort of barrel depicted as DIY?
Those have actually existed for "specialized needs". Expensive to do. Very.

If this thread is not a trolling project?

It is surely missing an excellent opportunity for it.

:(

Last edited:
The WW2 3.9" AA guns had three loose sections of liner in an outer tube,but possibly stronger than a bit of gal pipe...Still ,its only a 22......1 grain of powder cant do much......always assuming you dont stand in front as it fires.

I fiddled a bit with a rifled extension tube some years back. Had an aluminum coupler, ported, and the 2 pieces about 3/4 to 1" apart. Cut a leadin with a Bentz reamer. Everything was indicated in for alignment when machined.

Main barrel a 1-18 twist, extension a 1-16, both Lilja. I tried to eyeball the rifling into alignment, but there's no way it was perfect. And with the different twist it was probably going to shear a bit anyway.

Didn't shave lead, didn't shoot any better. Don't remember it shooting significantly worse either.

fiddled a bit with a rifled extension tube some years back.
As with the OP I have to wonder why, but in your case I suspect you had a better reason. Had you thought of casting a slug to use to align the riflings?

I advise people to get good advice, or else my advice is to not advise. a play on words to show spelling.

Back