What's new
What's new

Reamer problem

Konrad308

Plastic
Good day

I need some help here.

I have a problem with a new 300wsm reamer.

I chambered a new barrel with this custom fb and nk PTG reamer. The chamber cut with a very nice looking finish and no visible marks. But i have extraction problems after the case has been fired. The brass cases i used, is a new batch of winchester 300wsm brass.

I removed the barrel, cut off the thread and rechambered the barrel again and still have the same problem.

It seems like the reamer might have a high or low spot causing a buldge on the brass. But there is no visible marks on the reamer.

The extraction problems are not extream. There is just some resistance with bolt lift.

I have used ptg reamers in the past and never had problems with them. I sent an email to ptg last week, but they have not responded.

Have any of you had problems like this?

Regards

Konrad

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Make a chamber cast of your chamber, if the cast won't come out easily you have a high spot or a ring you should be able to feel it in the cast or your brass.

Measure the fired case all over. I had a custom 35/40 reamer made by PTG, it took me a couple of years to complete. When I did the area just ahead of the rim was too tight. Was a little snug when chambering a new cartridge would not chamber a round fired in another rifle then resized.
Extraction was difficult on fired new brass even though the loads were mild. To PTGs credit they made a new reamer even though it was 2 years old, works fine now.
Another check you could do is carefully measure the reamer and compare to Saami chamber specs for 300wsm.

I think the short magnums have very little body taper which will make the first lift of the bolt handle a little troublesome any way. Just the right amount of polishing of the chamber may help. I know you do not want the chamber too slick or bolt thrust will be an issue.

if this is on a Remington 700, make sure you have primary extraction from good bolt handle timing. Lately Remington has been piss poor on bolt timing and If you trued or blueprinted the receiver you may not have any left.

I’ve had the same extraction symptoms with PTG 7-08. It is undersized. I had to send it to Manson after a PTG rework to get it figured out. He couldn’t fix it but he did find the problem. PTG has interesting CS and various QC issues. Kiff is a fine tool maker but I’m not sure he is very hands on these days. Plenty to read on the web about all that.

I’ve done 3 chambers with it and have had to polish out every one of them in a rinse and repeat fashion until it works. It isn’t much, but enough to cause a click. I can also beat it with a small base die but that’s just plain silly.

I’ve had the same extraction symptoms with PTG 7-08. It is undersized. I had to send it to Manson after a PTG rework to get it figured out. He couldn’t fix it but he did find the problem. PTG has interesting CS and various QC issues. Kiff is a fine tool maker but I’m not sure he is very hands on these days. Plenty to read on the web about all that.

I’ve done 3 chambers with it and have had to polish out every one of them in a rinse and repeat fashion until it works. It isn’t much, but enough to cause a click. I can also beat it with a small base die but that’s just plain silly.
My reamer also seems undersize. My whidden FL die does not touch the base of the die during resize.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back