Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I dealt with ITAR years ago the main criteria was "first use" of the component. Generally, if the first use of the component was military it fell under ITAR. Commercial and dual-use components fell under EAR.

But the rules aren't hard and fast. People have gotten in big trouble in the grey areas. Making components for obsolete military items might be one of those.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Got a question since this thread has had a bunch of experts contributing. How about making reproduction sight, side plate and barrel band screws for 1894 through 1903 (Model1898) Krags. For those that do not know these are ex military rifles that were sold to the public when they had been replaced by a bigger better faster rifle. Quantities out there are in the 100,000s of thousands, many of the screws where buggered up by hardware store screw drivers.

Looked at ITAR regs a few years ago and there was something about items to improve a weapons functioning. Would a CNC produced screw that looks prettier or held to a closer tolerance be a problem?
    I did make a thousand screws for flintlocks about a year ago and did not even worry about it.
    The only items of manufacture that have ever been of interest, to the best of my knowledge, are receivers and parts that are used to make a firearm fully automatic.

GALAZAN WINCHESTER 1890/1906 REPLACEMENT SCREW KIT | Brownells

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    I have posted this before. A young fellow came to look at a mill I was selling. He was very bright, but not as conversant with a machine shop as you might expect. When I asked if he was a machinist, he said no, he was in law enforcement. It took a little prying, but he finally told me he was an FBI agent. In the following discussion, I asked his opinion of concealed carry. He said he was strongly in favor of it and went on to run down the procedure to buy a gun on a permit and get the CC license and that anyone who would go through all that was not someone he had to worry about, the guys he chased didn't register their guns. There you have it from a federale.

Bill
    One fed, and pretty much every other LEO I've spoken with about that topic. Village cops, County Sheriff and Deputies, State Troopers, and Feds... The one exception I can recall is a man who was a street cop in NYC back in the 70s-80s. He was retired by the time I spoke with him about this, and no doubt his opinion was influenced by the time and location of his career. Since he had to deal with what was the worst parts of society during the darkest days of crime in that city in recent years... I can't say he was wrong to feel that way. Though, he freely admitted that laws restricting gun ownership wouldn't have helped, because criminals don't obey the law...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
    All models total approximately 500,000 rifles. Not quite the market you anticipated.
    If all those Krags were still in use and the owners wanted to replace the screws that amount to a large demand. Many were lost in battle, and today sharks are dismantling them to sell parts. Still there are many thousands still out there, my interest is supplying a need for the Krag Collectors Association forum members and making maybe a few hundred sets of screws.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFrank View Post
    When I dealt with ITAR years ago the main criteria was "first use" of the component. Generally, if the first use of the component was military it fell under ITAR. Commercial and dual-use components fell under EAR.

But the rules aren't hard and fast. People have gotten in big trouble in the grey areas. Making components for obsolete military items might be one of those.
    There is a company making scope mount bases for Krags, that would have to be considered an improvement of the original military arm, I will check with them if they deal with ITAR at all.

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow, this thread is all over the place!

Some of us, myself included, got into the machining trade because we enjoy working on our own firearms, and we found that we enjoy making chips just as much as assembling a firearm. I am not a professional gunsmith, nor to I claim to be. I will on occasion work on other people’s firearms to help them out. I don’t do it for money, nor do I charge any money, I do it for the love of the hobby.

It is important to know your local, state and Federal laws, and to keep current on them. (If you involved in firearms and are not staying current on what’s going on, you should correct yourself)

However if your not doing it for a business and you do an occasional one off job, it’s likely not going to run afoul of any laws. Unless you’re in one of those States that require you to do a background check on every time a firearm exchanges hands.

I don’t see a problem with what the OP did.

As mentioned if it becomes a regular thing and money exchanges hands, then you need to look at getting an FFL, and doing things proper. However if someone comes to you and asks if you could help them Bob a hammer, you’re likely going to be fine.

If someone asks you to cut down a barrel to a certain length, hide your dogs, and ensure that it meets or exceeds federal minimum length requirements and proceed at your own discretion.

Check out my website!
    The Ballistic Assistant

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JayAndrew View Post
    Wow, this thread is all over the place!
    I thought the thread had run its course. Now I wish I had started a new thread,
    Sorry.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a company making scope mount bases for Krags, that would have to be considered an improvement of the original military arm, I will check with them if they deal with ITAR at all.
    I am a distributor of scope mounts for military rifles.
    Have in stock mounts for US Enfield, British SMLE #4, Garand, K-98 Mauser, Yugo Mauser, 91 Mosin Nagant, 44 Mosin Nagant, Schmidt Rubin 1911, Schmidt Rubin K-31, Argentine 1891, Chilean Mauser 1895 and SKS.
    Only the SKS requires modifications (drill & tap) to the rifle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kurt,
    Did you have to register with ITAR or file paper work or anything? Your are a distributer, did the manufacturers of your product have to do anything? Or do you make the items yourself?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kurt,
    Did you have to register with ITAR or file paper work or anything? Your are a distributer, did the manufacturers of your product have to do anything? Or do you make the items yourself?
    I gave up my modern firearms license after 35 years in the business. However, I still have the business without the firearms. Mostly accessories.
    For the scope mounts I didn't have to register anything. And when someone buys a mount, there is no registration or background check.
    It is possible that in the future, some states could ban these items. But for now, my only restriction is that I do not ship these to another country.
    Ebay did not allow me to sell a scope mount for the Ruger mini-14, as they have determined it to be an assault rifle.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kurt,
    I did not manufacture the items and I did not need any special paperwork to purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Ebay did not allow me to sell a scope mount for the Ruger mini-14, as they have determined it to be an assault rifle. "

Its the official "Hill Billy Rifle", and don't need no scope no how!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Making or working on parts is not an issue, its the receiver that matters. Look at it this way. You can go online and buy any part for any gun except the receiver with out issue and having to go through a FFL dealer. If you buy a gun or just a 100% receiver then it has to go through a FFL and back ground check. Even a 80% uncompleted receiver can be bought and shipped directly to your house without having to go through a FFL. Parts are just parts, the receiver is considered the gun and regulated part.

14. Likes MetalCarnage liked this post