What's new
What's new

Question about Win 1890 with relined barrel

Dave Vincent

Cast Iron
I have an Win 1890 that I relined the barrel in. Before I removed the barrel from the receiver, with a go gage in the chamber and the bolt installed minis the extractor I was able to install an .018" feeler gage. I have the bolt so it closed on the go gage and not on the no go gage. The rifle shoots and functions fine.

My question is this. Because my liner protrudes from the barrel a little (about .018). I was wondering if I took a a jewelers file and filed a notch in the liner at the point that the firing pin would hit it. Down to the barrel, so the firing pin would not hit the liner in the event of a dry firing. Can any one see any reason why I should not do this?

Thanks for your thoughts

Dave

Many .22's have the firing pin set up, with one form or another of a firing pin stop.

Pin can then not protrude past bolt face enough, to hit barrel/liner...

As headspace increases, well meaning owners.... often modifed pin/stop, to reduce light primer/rim strikes... This would result in too much protrusion when headspace is corrected.

As posted above, firing pin needs backing for correct ignition on rimfire cases.

It takes a lot of dry firing to peen out the lip of the chamber. Don't do it, and don't let the kids play with the rifle. Teach them how to handle a firearm. Regards, Clark

Back