What's new
What's new

Question on galling of Stainless Steel

The_Shadow

Plastic
If the same alloy of Stainless steel is used, would a sufficient difference in hardness between the parts be enough to prevent galling?

Slide 35-40 RC
Frame or Chassis 20-25 RC

Pardon if this is a newbie question, just trying to understand the implications of using the same alloy for frame and slide and if hardening will eliminate the issue or if different alloys are definitely required.

I don't think so..
I think stainless galls after it deforms from stress..
Like a bolt and nut tightened together.. Then it smears
when taking it apart..
I have had some luck with anti seize, But given a choice
use dissimilar metals..
What are You using the stainless steel for?
That would help make informed comments..

Proper lube is what prevents galling. There are plenty of companies using stainless slides on stainless frames ans well as revolvers using stainless on stainless.

I won't recommend a specific lube since opinions vary so widely (and sometimes fiercely) but a google search of lube for stainless firearms should get you started.

It should be generally be avoided. It is not necessary. When an instance exists where it is tempting, use 304 against 316 or in Europe A2 against A4 and then lube, lube, lube.

In medical devices stainless on stainless will gall up right away, but these parts are cleaned within an inch of their lives, passivated, and assembled dry. Proper lubrication should help a lot, but yes, a hardness difference of at least ten HRC also helps. Bear in mind that precipitation hardening alloys like 17-4 have a lower surface hardness on a microscopic scale, and so gall as if they're softer than they test at.

a few years back I was looking to have a 1911 cmp hardball gun built and contacted a few of the top builders, all former Marine and AMU armorers. They all told me no stainless guns for a base gun as by the time they tighten it up and properly fit the barrel that it would gall. though one did say he would do a stainless frame and chrome moly slide.

I could tell you horror story after horror story of costly fails with stainless on stainless...How about a million buck food machine sent to the sandblasters to be detailed with matt finish in places......stainless studs used for temporary closures of access panels......all jammed and broken off by a laborer cleaning the grit......disaster......and my own personal fail....repaired a big nut and a finaldrive shaft threads with welded on stainless .....nut run on by hand,picked up just short of tight.....ended up using the power of the dozer to turn the nut....it shreiked like a banshee...then melted stainless ran out of the joint....whole final drive had to come down again.

Back