What's new
What's new

Question regarding ar buffer mass

CalG

Diamond
All else remaining constant,

What is the effect on cycle performance as mass is added to either the bolt carrier or buffer.?

Thanks for the comment GunBum .

F=MA wins again

Can you offer any insight into the "floating weight" within the buffer? I'm curious to understand how the relationship between the buffer body mass and the 'floating' mass is calculated. and how any 'damping elements" might be applied.

I remember seeing a film for the DOD in which a soldier holds the butt of an M16 to his lips while shooting. It wasn't until I assembled my own AR that I knew about the buffer. Is the buffer needed for function? I believe the "pistol" uses a smaller buffer?

I remember seeing a film for the DOD in which a soldier holds the butt of an M16 to his lips while shooting. It wasn't until I assembled my own AR that I knew about the buffer. Is the buffer needed for function? I believe the "pistol" uses a smaller buffer?

I can not speak from experience, but from reading, there are some that feel that with a light enough BCG, no buffer is needed.

There are many auto loading designs that do not require a buffer, but there are few auto loaders that use direct impingement gas systems. There may be a pattern there....;-)

It isn't just mass that affects the operation of the gun in relation to the buffer. It depends on the type of buffer as well.

In a rapid fire, a solid buffer or too light, can cause misfires and bounce just enough when closing, to create a light strike.

Also a solid buffer that is the same weight as a typical three piece weighted buffer will perform differently as well. This from experiences across multiple calibers, not just 223.

The three piecer's act more like a deadblow hammer when coming down on the bolt. Also from past experience Tungsten gets very expensive when making custom heavy buffers. IIRC there isn't anything as dense at that price point.

previous post is dead on, the weight delays and slows opening, but the floating buffer part is a closing buffer, stops carrier bounce, "dead blow hammer" is perfect description. without buffer part, just spring or solid weight bolt, would close but sometimes the carrier would bounce back slightly causing bolt to rotate just out of battery. Note though, Les bear Ar-10 buffer is just solid nylon, better tuned system perhaps?

Back