Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About ten years ago ,Winchester tried to market a larger rimfire based on a nailgun cartridge ,and Savage made a rifle for it.....Seems to have disappeared pretty quick ,but what it did was silenced all those calling for a rerun of the Stevens 25 rimfire round ......plinkers are pretty usedto the 1c a shot cost of 22 rimfire ,and there needs to be a pretty good reason to buy a new gun and ammo costing 10c a shot.....Even the 17 s seem to have withered on the vine,leaving the 22 mag for the very few willing to pay the extra.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderskunk View Post
    I ordered it on the 18th when I saw your post; absolute no brainer for $15. Gotten a lot less with a lot more. One hellova perspective too. I’ve only had a chance to poke through the M1903 and Enfield history’s.

I work down the road from Ruger. You’d think with 5-axis CNCs and EDM that tool and die would have died off, but they employ much of the same fixturing as did Springfield armory, with a modern twist.
    Check out the aftermath photos of some powder storage facilities exploding. Hatcher reports on experiments of shooting straight up, what really happens when cartridges explode in fires, etc. I've gotten lots of enjoyment out of my copy over the years.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    About ten years ago ,Winchester tried to market a larger rimfire based on a nailgun cartridge ,and Savage made a rifle for it.....Seems to have disappeared pretty quick ,but what it did was silenced all those calling for a rerun of the Stevens 25 rimfire round ......plinkers are pretty usedto the 1c a shot cost of 22 rimfire ,and there needs to be a pretty good reason to buy a new gun and ammo costing 10c a shot.....Even the 17 s seem to have withered on the vine,leaving the 22 mag for the very few willing to pay the extra.
    Rimfires are so low cost , i am surprised nobody makes/made a rimfire military bullet.
    I guess with mostly automatic and semi auto one misfire would jam up the gun and so lose that gun for a time.
    Agree one might get 1 or 2 misfires in 100 low grade rimfire 22s

qt:[22 mag for the very few willing to pay the extra.]
    22 mag is a hot little bullet for its price...and that one can easily carry 1000 rounds makes it a very good choice in some situations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Rimfires are so low cost , i am surprised nobody makes/made a rimfire military bullet.
    I guess with mostly automatic and semi auto one misfire would jam up the gun and so lose that gun for a time.
    Agree one might get 1 or 2 misfires in 100 low grade rimfire 22s

qt:[22 mag for the very few willing to pay the extra.]
    22 mag is a hot little bullet for its price...and that one can easily carry 1000 rounds makes it a very good choice in some situations.
    ne of the problems with rimfires is that the cases are weaker in the head area which makes them a poor choice for higher powered rounds. If you look at something like a belted magnum the belt is there for a reason and if you section any modern high-power rifle round you will see that the cases are thicker in the head and rim area.

Also, center fire gives more consistent ignition.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Military development now is in the field of caseless ammo for guns firing a million rounds a minute...IMHO ,within a few years the soldier wont have a rifle at all ,but a stock of intelligent drones ,maybe the size of a large insect with small chemical payload ....one drone ,one kill ,every time .

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Military development now is in the field of caseless ammo for guns firing a million rounds a minute...IMHO ,within a few years the soldier wont have a rifle at all ,but a stock of intelligent drones ,maybe the size of a large insect with small chemical payload ....one drone ,one kill ,every time .
    ... what uh... what’s your point?

7. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post