What's new
What's new

RCBS Lockout die question

partsproduction

Titanium
From a gun forum that won't allow photos from my computer without a URL, the RCBS Lockout die is a clever device that stops the reloading press if it finds a shell with either too much or too little powder, before the bullet is pressed in;

I took two of my lockout dies apart and reassembled one, but noticed that the plunger that actually makes contact with the shell mouth has two sets of holes for the ball bearings. They are at the same location lengthwise on the plunger and 90 degrees out, so there are 4 holes altogether sized so the balls enter.
The trouble is two holes are heavily counter sunk, and the other two are hardly even deburred.

The two CS holes are across from each other and the two sharp edged holes are clocked 90 degrees out, to visualize, imagine drilling all the way through a tube, then turn it 90 degrees and drill again all the way through, BUT, countersink two of the four across from each other. (I hope that makes a clear word picture)

As I said, the trouble, if there is one, is which of the two sets of holes do the balls go into? I understand how the die works but I can see no reason for two sets of holes nor why one set would be beveled so.

I assembled it both ways and cannot tell the difference in how accurately it works, and there may not be any functional difference, but then why two sets of holes and why is one set countersunk?
Any answers appreciated. Oh, and I watched a YT video of a guy disassembling one and his looked like it had two holes.
Thanks,
parts

No experience with your RCBS dies. WE do make assemblies that get glued together where no one will ever see the inards. We have occasionally made an extra set of slots in the brass slider on one item. We assembled them anyway as no one would ever see our mistake. The mistake made no difference in the life or usability of the assembly. Maybe something like that happened on you dies?

agreed with previous poster. Many times mistakes that do not effect functionality and are purely cosmetic in nature get left and not repaired. It could have been a set up piece that even got through.

Back