Re-chamber old 22 single shot .22 for .22 magnum rat shot - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the old bolt action is a Remington 580, no problem, it will be strong enough. Make up a piloted reamer to remove the rifling.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The old rifle I have is a Springfield JR that belonged to my dad when he was a kid. It has some sentimental value but as a firearm it is pretty useless. That is why I considered modifying it to make it more useful. I was not going to remove the rifling. I just assumed it would not matter if it was rifled or not since I will just be using shot. What do you think? Thanks very much for all the useful information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rifling isn't an issue. What is an issue ie whether the chamber can handle the reaming. Depending on which Springfield, it might be fine. Proper measurements will tell you.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

weaselfire...without going into great detail, what would I measure?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not familiar with that model. Rifling causes the shot cup to spin which makes for a really loose pattern. A smooth bore would be better. I do not think drilling out the rifling would be a legal problem as long as the barrel is not shortened too much (like less than the minimum for a shotgun which I think is 18".) But I am not a lawyer.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found this on you tube but didn't watch all of it:

YouTube

Might be worth trying a few different brands of shot before you modify your rifle.

I shot a lot of these shells on the farm. The shot must be extremely soft as I got very heavy lead deposits, enough to really affect the accuracy of regular 22 shells. It would come out in strings around a bore brush. That might not be a problem if rat shot is all you use.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The CCI .22mag shot shells need the rifling to break up the plastic cap. The crimped metal shells and designed for smooth bores.

8. Likes MetalCarnage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Wikipedia article on garden guns (Smooth bore) showed a photo of a CCI cartridge. Not sure if the garden guns had a choke, maybe the choke would break the capsule. The 50 foot range and 12 inch pattern mentioned in some of the garden gun articles Is what CrossThread is looking for. From what my experience and what I have read it is not possible with a rifled gun. So it will be a smooth bore and maybe some experimenting with a choke.
    If a one diameter smooth bore did not work well, I think my next step would be to counterbore the end and Loktite a choke in. I would leave a step or thread on the end to pull it out till I found one that I liked, then finish the end with a good looking crown.

Just a couple of quick notes on shot shells in rifled hand guns.
    7 to 10 feet nice pattern in a Ruger 45 Colt revolver or Bond Snake Slayer.
    So far rattlesnakes stop moving when hit. Ever one of them were killed, prodded them all with a stick to make sure they were dead. Be careful.
    Texas yellow bellied fish snakes will jerk and sometimes come out of the water when hit.
    When CCI 45 Shot shells were unavailable during the ammo shortage a few years ago, Spear capsules were available for reloading. Reloading them is a lot cheaper. If Spear capsules are available in 32 caliber maybe you could load "quiet" ones.
    The 45 shot shell will make your ears ring bad when fired under a shed roof. Gotta be a plus for a 22 garden gun. Even holding the gun out door and sighting through the window on a front porch will deafen you even when pulling the door tight on your arm. Ear muffs protectors are a necessity in buildings are under a roof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Get a Winchester model 36 they are THE BOMB for Chipmunks!!!!!