What's new
What's new

Re-Cutting Action Threads

Fred T

Cast Iron
What is the general consensus as far as re-cutting the threads on an action. I have done it but it is a pain in the neck. I have heard that some guys just run a tap in them but in my mind it just follows the old threads and doesen't do squat to center them up with the bolt. Re chasing them seems to be the only other way I can think of to get them perfectly concentric with the bolt. What do you guys do?
Fred T

Well, you just about summed the situation up right. If you want them RIGHT you'll have to chase and single point them, and while you're there you may as well true the rest of it up.

Are they that far off!Most quality actions just need the face trued up (usually leass than .005)and most barrel manufacturers I have used have enough thread clearance that the barrel shoulder will still screw up flush with the newly trued action face.Then the bolt face can be lapped to get it square to the breechface of the barrel.
Dave

Dave most of the time I find .010 give or take. The best I have found was .001 Rem 600 never touched it as it was a varment rifle, the worst was a Rem 40X RF it ran .040 I allmost did not do it, but though I would be OK in a RF.

Dave
It really shouldn't matter how far they are off. When I blueprint an action I want it as close as I can possibly get it. If they are not concentric then I think something needs done about it. I did a Rem 700 once and I think I ended up with 1.093 thread diameter but they were round and concentric when I was done. Is all this necessary? I guess that depends on the person doiong the work.
Fred T

Back