What's new
What's new

Reaming a barrel bore

homebrew.357

Aluminum
Hi guys, I`m getting a T/C pull through reamer from U S and will be mounting on a steel tube to ream from .443" to .450", so a .0035" cut with oil through to flush out chips. Now the way I do this is with the barrel turning in the lathe at slow speed, slow infeed, is this ok ? as most say the reamer should be turning and barrel still :nono:. Barrel steel is 4140 and takes me three days to hand ream one, so this finishing reamer will be a god send, one pass through and job done. :cool:. Homebrew.357.

I was under the impression the optimal situation was both spinning to help cancel out any alignment errors on either the tool or work piece.

I think that is for gundrilling mainly, it probably won't make a ton of difference for reaming.

I was under the impression the optimal situation was both spinning to help cancel out any alignment errors on either the tool or work piece.

I think that is for gundrilling mainly, it probably won't make a ton of difference for reaming.

Barrelmaking shops that I have been in had the barrel turning, but not the drill.

Having both turning in opposite direction does help alignment when drilling a hole. In this case the hole has been established a reamer will only follow a hole.

Back