Rebarreling of a Mauser C96 Broomhandle. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    AVON Guest

It has been done. The best way, however, is what I have been trying to research. Others have done it, but their techniques have been lost. I have some of the more important tidbits needed. I hope to have more soon.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I kind of wish DMF Tom was on the this forum, him and AVON could have a good back and forth.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What machine tools do you have available?The work can be done with a lathe with a steady rest or on a milling machine.Great care must be taken on setting up the barrel extension.You'll get one shot at drilling and threading the barrel extension.There is nothing special about doing the actual work.You will need a finish chamber reamer and headspace gauges.The entire operation is run of the mill machine work.I rough chamber the barrel before installing in the barrel extension.I use an accurate three chuck and a steady rest to do this.Finish reaming is done after the barrel is torqued into the extension.The barrel is prepped like a Mauser rifle barrel with a torque shoulder.Do you have any experience doing rebarreling?

AVON Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    I kind of wish DMF Tom was on the this forum, him and AVON could have a good back and forth.
    And this is relevant to the topic at hand how? I would have expected more from a machinist hailing from Illinois. My Grandad was a tool and die maker there during WWII, later worked for the CAT factory over in Gary, IN. But, then again, he was born in Nebraska.

AVON Guest

Actually Ken, I'm not sure what machinery I would use. I'm quite limited on space. And while I have done some barrel work over the years, I may farm this job out. This is totally different from the work that I did in the past on my competition revolvers. As I understand, the C96 is headspaced at the shoulder, is it not? I had assumed that the chamber would need to be reamed before installing it in the barrel extension. Thank you for confirming that for me. I have been considering perhaps a Grizzly combo lathe and mill. I lost much of my property when I was set free by my Ex.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AVON View Post
    Your photo would have had more relevance if it were of a Hash Barrel C96. FYI, bears in Louisiana are only as big as a large German Shepard. Tell me do you get your water supply from Flint? It would go a long way explaining your postings.
    That was rude ...and I won't post what I am thinking right now.

There you go I deleted my posts. Now I just need to find the ignore button and I will be done with you.
    Last edited by michiganbuck; 03-30-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your photo would have had more relevance if it were of a Hash Barrel C96. FYI, bears in Louisiana are only as big as a large German Shepard. Tell me do you get your water supply from Flint? It would go a long way explaining your postings.
    Well shit and bad water all run down hill. You seem to be at the bottom of a pretty big watershed. Maybe you should test your water and relax a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look into Lugerman's methods, or even farm it to him...fine work...look him up online.

Ps- on forums learn to appreciate all replies, keeps your topic at the top...you do not want a combo lathe/mill BTW IMO.

EDIT- here-

Broomhandle C96 Barrel Options | LugerMan

AVON Guest

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    That was rude ...and I won't post what I am thinking right now.

Three you go I deleted my posts. now I just need to find the ignore button and I will be done with you.
    I should be so lucky.

AVON Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    Look into Lugerman's methods, or even farm it to him...fine work...look him up online.

Ps- on forums learn to appreciate all replies, keeps your topic at the top.

EDIT- here-

Broomhandle C96 Barrel Options | LugerMan
    I have looked into Lugerman. "Then we have to cut the barrel off, rim the upper to receive the new barrel.
    Make the new barrel with shape and form of an original, weld it in place and install a new front sight on the barrel."

I have personal mistrust of this technique. With welding there is always a chance of voids and inclusions that can weaken the joint. The C96 upper is made of mild steel.

AVON Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Aejgx6 View Post
    Well shit and bad water all run down hill. You seem to be at the bottom of a pretty big watershed. Maybe you should test your water and relax a bit.
    I have tested my water, have you? "The good news about the public water supply in Kansas is that almost all of it is safe to drink. ... Yet about 120 of the state's 1,011 public water systems are experiencing difficulty with one or more water sources that exceed safe levels of contaminants."

One has to wonder how much DDT, fertilizer, insecticides, and animal fecal matter contamination there is in your area?

Ever visit the waste land that is the Salton Sea?

That's why I drink filtered distilled water

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I should be so lucky.
    BACK IN THE DAY I WOULD HAVE SAID.... H Y F I U , AH.

Very possible you will F I U.

likely I could make that part and do the job with my Steinel mill, lathe, grinding machines, drill press and bench work.

Yes I would/might need to grind/make a few special end mills and perhaps a special reamer.

Yelling at people and having a bad attitude are not the merits of a successful gun smith IMHO.

Have a nice day.
    Buck

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    you shouldn't drink distilled water...
    OT: I used to drink water out of Canadian lakes..don't do that any more but do know a few that still do, one guy who is in his 80s. He gets a ticket every time the Mounties pull him over (on his snow machine) because he won't wear a helmet or leave skin on his fish.

Guess I have at least 3 or 4 Mausers/Have go down and count them.
    Did have a couple nice Gewehrs, should have kept them.

List of World War II firearms of Germany - Wikipedia

AVON Guest

BACK IN THE DAY I WOULD HAVE SAID.... H Y F I U , AH.

Likely you will.

Very likely I could make that part and do the job with my Steinal mill, lathe, grinding machines, drill press and bench work.

Yes likely need to grind/make a few special end mills and perhaps a special reamer.

Yelling at people and a bad attitude are not the merits of a successful gun smith IMHO.

Have a nice day.
    Buck
    Then, You don't know any truly successful gunsmiths. Hey! I thought you were done with me?

I just love when someone says, "Humph, I can make/do that.", but never does. But, if a Khyber Pass gunsmith can do it with rudimentary tools and skills, why can't you?

So, why don't you power up your Steinel and show us?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guess (know) you had to look that up
    thanks.

QT:[Hey! I thought you were done with me?] I was till you had to make another wise crack.

AVON Guest

OT: I used to drink water out of Canadian lakes..don't do that any more but do know a few that still do, one guy who is in his 80s. He gets a ticket every time the Mounties pull him over (on his snow machine) because he won't wear a helmet or leave skin on his fish.

Guess I have at least 3 or 4 Mausers/Have go down and count them.
    TRULY OFF TOPIC, maybe a side effect of beaver fever, from those days of drinking lake water? Or is that from listening to Justin Bieber music?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are way too busy arguing to do any gun work.

Re: arguing: exchange or express diverging or opposite views, typically in a heated or angry way.

AVON Guest

Guess (know) you had to look that up
    thanks.

QT:[Hey! I thought you were done with me?] I was till you had to make another wise crack.
    Look what up? The bible reference? Not everyone is a Schlemiel, such as yourself.

AVON Guest

You are way too busy arguing to do any gun work.
    A superior mind can multitask.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Schlemiel? I had to look that word up
    Resort to name calling...How old are you..thinking now perhaps a teenager.
    Likely your dad being a toolmaker (or the like) could make such a part and assemble it.
    Bieber music mentioned supports that you may be a young guy..

This bickering could go on for a coon's age and I have to go help my son paint an up stairs of a few rooms.

See Yah..
    Buck