Rebarreling of a Mauser C96 Broomhandle. - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    AVON Guest

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Schlemiel? I had to look that word up
    Resort to name calling...How old are you..thinking now perhaps a teenager.
    Likely your dad being a toolmaker (or the like) could make such a part and assemble it.
    Bieber music mentioned supports that..
    Old enough to have memories of listening to the Del Vikings singing "Come Go With Me" on WTIX AM radio, watching the coverage of JFK's assassination on live TV, upset because it preempted the Lone Ranger, the Beatles playing live in New Orleans City Park Stadium, seeing the 1968 Chicago riots up close and personal, wishing that I was old enough to go to Woodstock. Still think that I'm a teenager? Doctor told me in 2013 I had five years to live, do the math. I'm too stubborn and crotchety to go peacefully into that good night.

My Grandad was the T&D maker. My other GD was a plant manager in a paint factory. Dad was a tinkerer. Wasn't hardly anything he couldn't fix in a pinch.

Unlike many, I live life, not just take up space living it. And I have repaired many a gun using hand tools to shape the part needed, polishing them and heat treat them without the use of electric tools. Try it some time, I'm sure that you appreciate your machines far more than you do now.

2. Likes ramsay1 liked this post
    AVON Guest

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    This bickering could go on for a coon's age and I have to go help my son paint an up stairs of a few rooms.

See Yah..
    Buck
    Paint fumes! That explains much. I need to run as well, hardware store, pharmacy, and flea market. Taking my son with me, he just turned 8yo. Catch me come l8r

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BUCK! Clear you mailbox.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure what Grizzly combo machine you're looking at but all of the combo machines I've seen run at too high rpm for single point threads.Any decent gunsmith that does rebarreling could do the barrel installation.I would not use a method that requires welding.If you have no experience rebarreling I would not make rebarreling a broomhandle my first attempt.

6. Likes 72bwhite, N/A liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    BUCK! Clear you mailbox.

OT:
    Message sent, box open space.
    Buck

AVON Guest

Tapping and tread cutting I prefer to do by hand. I feel that I have more control that way.

9. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AVON View Post
    Tapping and tread cutting I prefer to do by hand. I feel that I have more control that way.
    Some times I drill in the drill press with the part fixtured..and then use the drill press chuck, turning tap by hand so the DP becomes a tapping head.

Used to do a lot of DP, mill and lathe tapping under power but not for gun work.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AVON View Post
    Old enough to have memories of listening to the Del Vikings singing "Come Go With Me" on WTIX AM radio, watching the coverage of JFK's assassination on live TV, upset because it preempted the Lone Ranger, the Beatles playing live in New Orleans City Park Stadium, seeing the 1968 Chicago riots up close and personal, wishing that I was old enough to go to Woodstock. Still think that I'm a teenager? Doctor told me in 2013 I had five years to live, do the math. I'm too stubborn and crotchety to go peacefully into that good night.

My Grandad was the T&D maker. My other GD was a plant manager in a paint factory. Dad was a tinkerer. Wasn't hardly anything he couldn't fix in a pinch.

Unlike many, I live life, not just take up space living it. And I have repaired many a gun using hand tools to shape the part needed, polishing them and heat treat them without the use of electric tools. Try it some time, I'm sure that you appreciate your machines far more than you do now.
    Who is off topic now? I test my water frequently and the nitrates are creeping up slowly.

AVON Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Aejgx6 View Post
    Who is off topic now? I test my water frequently and the nitrates are creeping up slowly.
    Sounds like fertilizer contamination from Farm runoff. Though, it could be septic as well. Do you have well water or city, town or county water? Do they check the bacteria levels as well?

Click and read this, Kansas tap water pollution from farm runoff

AVON Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ken T View Post
    Not sure what Grizzly combo machine you're looking at but all of the combo machines I've seen run at too high rpm for single point threads.Any decent gunsmith that does rebarreling could do the barrel installation.I would not use a method that requires welding.If you have no experience rebarreling I would not make rebarreling a broomhandle my first attempt.
    Thank you for your insight.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have personal mistrust of this technique. With welding there is always a chance of voids and inclusions that can weaken the joint.
    I watched a video of a P08 restoration in which pitted areas were built up by micro laser welding, it looked like perfect build up beads in rows but done in microscopic size. I was very impressed and have thought a lot about it, like, what does that cost to have done? The Luger showed zero signs of the previous rust.
    I assume the way I'd want to do it would be threaded to a shoulder and then welded by this method to eliminate the shoulder line, seems like it could be done invisibly that way. Glued liner seems cheapo to me, I wouldn't own a gun like that myself, maybe good enough for others though. Threaded to a shoulder even showing the joint would be far better I think.